affordable airplane storage

Brett Curtis

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bcurtis
Hi, I've finally gotten to a place where I've been seriously considering learning to fly. I have thought that I'd like to ultimately own an airplane, and I've been thinking about the feasibility of the cost. I'm in the south Houston area, and at first glance renting a T-hangar is probably $500/mo, and likely not even available at the nearest airports. I was pretty disappointed when I learned that. Are there any other options, and what could I expect for cost?

Outside of general flying and other trips, I'd really like to be able to fly regularly back and forth to Dallas and occasionally Arizona to visit relatives. Having a long commute to an airport might really detract from flying to Dallas as compared to driving.

Tie down or a community/shared hangar are really the only other options. The former being much cheaper than the latter.

Good luck!

Tie down or a community/shared hangar are really the only other options. The former being much cheaper than the latter.

Good luck!

As I understand, FBOs may offer shared storage. I have also read that private owned hangars may also lease space. I wonder what I could expect for cost and how I would find any options for privately owned space?

There are a lot of clubs in the area, so you might not need to own; As well, those clubs have instructors where you can get your training. A partnership is another option for affordability.

Tiedown might be the only option until you can get off the hangar wait list. If you go that route, invest in a quality cockpit cover. If you don't do something to mitigate solar heating, whatever avionics you have will soon be fried. When I was tying down my AA-1A or AA-5 the avionics would need some sort of repair nearly monthly. Once the canopy cover went on, the rate of avionics failures diminished markedly. I take a canopy cover with me on every trip as well. Keeps out water, excessive solar heating, and prying eyes.

There are a lot of clubs in the area, so you might not need to own; As well, those clubs have instructors where you can get your training. A partnership is another option for affordability.

That's all part of separating fantasy from reality! I would definitely do that for my initial flight training. What I will do beyond that is part of the decision on whether I do anything at all. I'm afraid that if I have to pay by the hour, even from a private club, it will probably limit how much I would actually do it. I was thinking that if I made an initial investment, plus the other non-operating costs, I'd be more likely to take advantage of flying. That may very well be irrational vs rational thinking. It's way too early to make any decisions on buying, but I'm just trying to understand the costs.

That's all part of separating fantasy from reality! I would definitely do that for my initial flight training. What I will do beyond that is part of the decision on whether I do anything at all. I'm afraid that if I have to pay by the hour, even from a private club, it will probably limit how much I would actually do it. I was thinking that if I made an initial investment, plus the other non-operating costs, I'd be more likely to take advantage of flying. That may very well be irrational vs rational thinking. It's way too early to make any decisions on buying, but I'm just trying to understand the costs.

Contact the clubs and find out their rate schedule. Then compare to purchase, maint, insure, store, and fuel/oil. Make sure to compare similar planes’ish.

$500 you would spend on hangar could buy you 2-4 hours of flight time in a club/rental, depending on type.

Don’t misunderstand, I bought and own. Just seems like the cost is keeping you from pulling the trigger even for training. If that’s the case, then ownership might literally make you sweat and puke due to the unpredictable nature of maintenance costs.

Last edited:
Tie down and community hangar are the only other options to a private hangar.

[QUOTE="Don’t misunderstand, I bought and own. Just seems like the cost is keeping you from pulling the trigger even for training. If that’s the case, then ownership might literally make you sweat and puke due to the unpredictable nature of maintenance costs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you can’t really get caught up in the financials otherwise you’ll never start/finish. Budget the $10-12K it will probably take to get your PPL from a club or flight school and evaluate your ownership options after. By that point, you’ll be more plugged into the pilot network and a partnership or shared opportunity may come your way.

Oh, and after you take your first several flight lessons, your perception and value of the dollar will instantly change. Happened to all of us.

[QUOTE="

Oh, and after you take your first several flight lessons, your perception and value of the dollar will instantly change. Happened to all of us.
The dollar has value? I think in terms of AMU's now!

$500 you would spend on hangar could buy you 2-4 hours of flight time in a club/rental, depending on type.
That's exactly what I mean. At first look, $500/mo is prohibitive. I'd have to not even care about the costs at that price. I haven't ruled out renting, but ultimately not being able to own is definitely a blow to the whole idea.

Consider this.... Last annual was $8,000+ due to something weird that happened with the accessory case and a mag due.

[QUOTE="Don’t misunderstand, I bought and own. Just seems like the cost is keeping you from pulling the trigger even for training. If that’s the case, then ownership might literally make you sweat and puke due to the unpredictable nature of maintenance costs.

Yeah you can’t really get caught up in the financials otherwise you’ll never start/finish. Budget the $10-12K it will probably take to get your PPL from a club or flight school and evaluate your ownership options after. By that point, you’ll be more plugged into the pilot network and a partnership or shared opportunity may come your way.

Oh, and after you take your first several flight lessons, your perception and value of the dollar will instantly change. Happened to all of us.[/QUOTE]

I get all that. Like I said I would take the PPL training renting from a club for a lot of reasons. However, I know several people that got their PPL, and after that never really used it. It just turned out to be a bucket list item in and of itself. I might end up doing that just because I've wanted to, but I really want more than that. That's what I'm trying to understand now. Will I just go through some or all of the training for the sake of checking off a bucket list item, or will I be able to enjoy it for longer term and to what extent?

Consider this.... Last annual was $8,000+ due to something weird that happened with the accessory case and a mag due.
I definitely understand that. I realize that deciding to get the training now based upon renting during/after is as far as I can really see right now. I'm just trying to understand the ownership costs in my area.

Serious question. But have you ever been in a ga plane? Other than knowing people that have got there ppl just cuz, it seems you're getting out in front of your skis a bit by thinking about hangar space and not even knowing if you'll enjoy flying enough to use it.

With that said, there's lots of good clubs around. I dont have that option with a plane I'd enjoy flying. And that's part of it too. For me it came down to high wing low wing. All the clubs have Cessna's and I like low wings. So I learned in my dad's beast with 300hp and a constant speed prop. Not the ideal trainer. So I bought a Cherokee 180 to have fun with and now my sister wants to learn as well. Rather than pay the 10-12k for training she'll pay a private instructor a fraction. Planes are kept outside all the time with no issues. Get a good cover and do a thorough pre flight.

Welcome to PoA. Inconvenient airport access and expensive hangars are a fact of city life. I found the most cost effective way to scratch the aviation itch was being part of a club that had a plane tied down outside. I have my own plane now, and it's tied down outside, because we are not a two cardiologist family and $500/mo is $500/mo.

Serious question. But have you ever been in a ga plane? Other than knowing people that have got there ppl just cuz, it seems you're getting out in front of your skis a bit by thinking about hangar space and not even knowing if you'll enjoy flying enough to use it.

With that said, there's lots of good clubs around. I dont have that option with a plane I'd enjoy flying. And that's part of it too. For me it came down to high wing low wing. All the clubs have Cessna's and I like low wings. So I learned in my dad's beast with 300hp and a constant speed prop. Not the ideal trainer. So I bought a Cherokee 180 to have fun with and now my sister wants to learn as well. Rather than pay the 10-12k for training she'll pay a private instructor a fraction. Planes are kept outside all the time with no issues. Get a good cover and do a thorough pre flight.
Yes, definitely out in front of my skis! No doubt! Almost did it in my twenties, and I've always regretted it. I did a discovery flight last year and really enjoyed it.

Welcome to PoA. Inconvenient airport access and expensive hangars are a fact of city life. I found the most cost effective way to. scratch the aviation itch was being part of a club that had a plane tied down outside. I have my own plane now, and it's tied down outside, because we are not a two cardiologist family and $500/mo is $500/mo.

I was definitely surprised by that cost. Just wondering what other options there might be.

I was definitely surprised by that cost. Just wondering what other options there might be.
Build your own with folding wings, park in the garage and trailer it to the airport or a golf course(don't do that, they get mad when you land on one). Or invest in an EVTOL.

But seriously, get put on a waiting list. Become an airport bum and make friends. Find out if anyone with a T-hangar would be interested in splitting the cost of hangar space or is looking for a partnership. Then either buy a lift, or befriend a fabricator that is skilled enough to build one. I mention the lift because that's what I did, and dammit I'm proud of it and It looks cool. But first, get your license...or even start learning

As I understand, FBOs may offer shared storage. I have also read that private owned hangars may also lease space. I wonder what I could expect for cost and how I would find any options for privately owned space?
I went door knocking at the airport until someone directed me to someone else that might have had space. Wasn’t cheap, but at least it isn’t on a tie down.

Hello,

I live in Houston, may be of some insight.
What airport is closest to where you live?
that determines A LOT about how often you can fly.
I tried out Pearland and was not too enthusiastic about their flight club. Plus that uncontrolled airport is super busy. It really needs a tower.
KAXH is a nice little airport, brand new runway and has some hangars under $500. I believe they may have Covered parking as well. I just don’t know what they have to offer in flight training.

T41 is another somewhat south airport. Harvey & Rinh is a well known flight school at a nice little airport. Debbie is a champion aerobatics Pilot, instructor and DPE. If you train with her, good things will come.

KSGR, $600 hangars and pretty pricy training. However, they have some great controllers and can tell who is a student and will help you.

I’m at KIWS, it’s not south Houston, but I like it there. Hangars are $500, covered parking are $250. Great service and I really like the flight school. Oh and a nice unofficial club who meets saturdays and flies around to different airports for lunch.

Oh and I’d avoid training at KEFD, there is a flight school that seems too good to be true. Great flight instructors, but aircraft availability and scheduling issues become prohibitive fast.

I was in your shoes during training and wanted the best availability, so I bought a plane. While it wasn’t cheap, you can’t replace the joy I get for being able to look outside, see a sunny afternoon and go fly for 30 min without notice. I try to not think of cost as much as I am able to, it keeps the joy of flying alive.
Hope this helps!

Hello,
I was in your shoes during training and wanted the best availability, so I bought a plane. While it wasn’t cheap, you can’t replace the joy I get for being able to look outside, see a sunny afternoon and go fly for 30 min without notice. I try to not think of cost as much as I am able to, it keeps the joy of flying alive.
Hope this helps!

I'm literally right down the street from KAXH. It would be ideal to find everything there. The convenience couldn't be beat. Thanks for the info

I'm literally right down the street from KAXH. It would be ideal to find everything there. The convenience couldn't be beat. Thanks for the info

Call the airport manager, I’ve spoken to him a few times on the phone. He was helpful in giving me a little insight to the airport and put me in touch with the guy who ran the hangars.
He may also know a flight instructor or two.

If you do end up at this airport, you’ll be a crosswind champion. It’s where I always go to practice crosswind procedures. Now that I’m thinking about it, might have to go this weekend!

Best of luck

Back