afd readability improvements

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Just noticed this today. I know it's bloaty to use 8 bits per character instead of 7, but proper capitalization helps readability a lot!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/u...rvice-forecasts-will-stop-yelling-at-you.html

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
316 AM EDT MON MAY 16 2016

.SYNOPSIS...High pressure will remain over the area through Monday
night. Low pressure will track across southern Virginia Tuesday.
High pressure will build over the region Wednesday and hold
through the end of the week.

AFAICT not really relevant to aviation weather.
TAFs/METARs are still all caps, just like before.
The translated versions are upper/lower case, like before (and wouldn't make sense otherwise).
The Area Forecasts are about to disappear, IIRC.
So I don't see how this affects aviation, but happy to be corrected.

You don't need 8 bits for lowercase. You just need to retire every last teletype machine that doesn't support it.

aviationweather.gov links to the forecast discussions.

Not sure what the area forecasts have to do with the forecast discussion; are the discussions going away too?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but AFAICT the basic/original aviation weather (i.e. METAR/TAF) has always been caps and will remain so. The translated version has always been caps/lower case mix, and will remain so. Area Forecasts were the example the OP used and are being discontinued. So what's left?

The area forecasts are being discontinued, but AFAIK the forecast discussions are not.

The area forecasts are being discontinued, but AFAIK the forecast discussions are not.
Hope that's true - think the Discussions are the best thing out there for "longer" term planning.

Back