AFA vs. FIA written

drizzt76

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M.
I'm going to take the AFA written test in the near future in my journey to add on an airplane CFI (I'm a helicopter CFII but I never use it). Do all the questions come from the FIA test but just a shorter version? Thanks!

I'm going to take the AFA written test in the near future in my journey to add on an airplane CFI (I'm a helicopter CFII but I never use it). Do all the questions come from the FIA test but just a shorter version? Thanks!

What’s AFA and FIA?

FIA is the written exam for Flight Instructor Airplane and FII is Flight Instructor Instrument

AFA is explained in the image below

CF9788CF-D562-4884-8DE1-4247E50F939A.jpeg

Honestly I have no idea and considering the test question banks are secret I don't know how one could answer that question. I would be prepared for any question on the FIA test. Since the AFA test is so short, each wrong answer will lower your score much more dramatically.

Not exactly what you were asking, but keep in mind an endorsement is required to take the AFA. The FIA doesn't require it.

Honestly I have no idea and considering the test question banks are secret I don't know how one could answer that question. I would be prepared for any question on the FIA test. Since the AFA test is so short, each wrong answer will lower your score much more dramatically.

I agree. Thats why I was wondering if all the questions come from the FIA. There might not be a real way of knowing but just going to study for the FIA and see what happens.

So I guess the AFA would be used if you are already an instructor in a different category?

So I guess the AFA would be used if you are already an instructor in a different category?

Yes. However, one could also take the FIA if already an instructor in a different category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So let me see..........a 25 question written (AFA) or a 100 question written (FIA).......Hmmmm tough choice.......o_O

I've had helicopter flight instructors come to me with the written already done. The FIA can be taken without an endorsement. The AFA requires an endorsement. So it was helpful for my previous trainees that wanted the written out of the way before beginning training with me.

Also, if you choose Sheppard Air for test prep, they offer prep for the FIA and not the AFA. So they wouldn't provide the needed endorsement for AFA. Could be worth the extra 75 questions if a trainee wants to knock it out prior to training with their CFI.

I've had helicopter flight instructors come to me with the written already done. The FIA can be taken without an endorsement. The AFA requires an endorsement. So it was helpful for my previous trainees that wanted the written out of the way before beginning training with me.

Also, if you choose Sheppard Air for test prep, they offer prep for the FIA and not the AFA. So they wouldn't provide the needed endorsement for AFA. Could be worth the extra 75 questions if a trainee wants to knock it out prior to training with their CFI.

That's interesting. I bought Sheppard Air for the FIA and planned on taking the AFA test but the FIA might be worth considering. Thanks!

Back