Af1

bjohnson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Driver
Can you track AF1 on Flight Aware? My gut assumption is a big NO but I thought I would ask. I searched the PoA on this subject and didn't find anything. GW will be in Chattanooga tomorrow and that's what spurd this question.

BTW from the Flight Aware FAQ
Can I track military aircraft? What about presidential movements in Air Force One? [SIZE=-1](Back To Top)[/SIZE] FlightAware does not track military aircraft and presidential movement flights (e.g., Air Force One, Marine One, etc.) are operated by the US military.

A few weeks ago when W was visiting Wall Street, I was listening to JFK tower on LiveATC.net. I could hear the communications with Marine One as it came into JFK. The helo pilot said one word to the controller's half dozen on each key. I never heard anything regarding Air Force One on the ground or in departure and no indication if W flew Marine One the entire trip.

A few weeks ago when W was visiting Wall Street, I was listening to JFK tower on LiveATC.net. I could hear the communications with Marine One as it came into JFK. The helo pilot said one word to the controller's half dozen on each key. I never heard anything regarding Air Force One on the ground or in departure and no indication if W flew Marine One the entire trip.

To my understanding, it is only Marine One or Air Force One when the POTUS is aboard. When repositioning without, they use their tail number.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this may be just a nit I'm picking, but I think it is actually designated as "A1" not "AF1".

When the president is not on board, it is referred to as Special Air Mission 1 I believe.

To my understanding, it is only Marine One or Air Force One when the POTUS is aboard. When repositioning without, they use their tail number.

Bingo... I remember hearing a recording of Nixon's post-resignation flight home. Somewhere mid-continent, as soon as Ford had finished taking the oath of office, the pilots called up ATC and stated "Air Force One is now xxxx" (I forget the number.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, this may be just a nit I'm picking, but I think it is actually designated as "A1" not "AF1".

When the president is not on board, it is referred to as Special Air Mission 1 I believe.

The flight is known as 'Air Force One' only with POTUS on board... ditto with 'Marine One'.... at other times it is known as Reach 'tail number'... standard AMC callsign.

Special Air Mission... not a call sign.

Normally, I would say doodle....but the 89th call sign is "Venus". Beyond that......whatever.

Bingo... I remember hearing a recording of Nixon's post-resignation flight home. Somewhere mid-continent, as soon as Ford had finished taking the oath of office, the pilots called up ATC and stated "Air Force One is now xxxx" (I forget the number.)
It was SAM 27000. There's a wonderful TV documentary about Air Force One, hosted by Charlton Heston, and available on video. It includes an interview with Col. Ralph [SIZE=-1]Albertazzie, the pilot on that trip, confirming what Kent said.

I was flying IFR from San Diego back to Van Nuys in late January 1989, and heard "SAM 28000" being worked by LAX Departure after it dropped off former President Reagan following the inauguration of G.H.W. Bush.

BTW, SAM 27000 is now on public display at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, CA.

-- Pilawt

[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Back