Aerostar on the road to recovery near Carrollton GA

Yea, there is also a facebook vid of the pilot going on for a couple of minutes talking to the media. Said he was going to Carrollton to get fuel.

what road is that?
Never mind, i see the facebook link its in Carrollton.

maybe hes on the 'Henning" plan???
Glad hes OK and didnt kill anyone on the ground.

what road is that?
The girl that put the picture on Facebook said it was on the bypass near Newnan Rd. If that's correct he was maybe 5 miles short? If he in fact ran out of gas.

Aerostars have a great and simple fuel system, but if you don't understand it, it's easy to get it wrong. Pilot does talk about the main tank, which leads me to think he was not in the double cross feed mode. The main tank on the Aerostar has a light/warning that goes on when there's 12gal left in main. If he took off with that on to go refuel, he's a fool.

Pre flight,pre planning both seem to be lacking.

I'd say that someone should smack some sense into him, but that might require hitting him hard enough to cause a fatality. :mad:

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/faa-investigating-emergency-plane-landing-in-carrollton/339217578

News is saying the police said he ran out of gas. While this seems like the most likely scenario, I had yet to see it stated in any other news source.
There was a live interview with a local radio station and he said he ran out of gas.:eek: He even explained how the fuel feeds into one rank and when the engines started running rough he knew he was out! Probably not the best interview for him! It was on Facebook 1330 AM is the station, I think.
https://www.facebook.com/newstalk1330/?ref=br_rs

There was a live interview with a local radio station and he said he ran out of gas.:eek: He even explained how the fuel feeds into one rank and when the engines started running rough he knew he was out! Probably not the best interview for him! It was on Facebook 1330 AM is the station, I think.
https://www.facebook.com/newstalk1330/?ref=br_rs

Yep. I would talk to my lawyer first, FAA second. And avoid the news because anything said to a reporter can and will be used against me.

Actually, I would probably tell the news media that I was shot down by the libertarians with their super secret laser designed to stop republicans/democrats from voting.....:goofy::lol:

Yep. I would talk to my lawyer first, FAA second. And avoid the news because anything said to a reporter can and will be used against me.

Actually, I would probably tell the news media that I was shot down by the libertarians with their super secret laser designed to stop republicans/democrats from voting.....:goofy::lol:
Are you still in Alaska? Dude, drive south now.

You have divulged highly sensitive information. The drone is on the way. Please remain 500 yards from innocent civilians so we can avoid collateral damage. Thank you for your cooperation. :D

Truth is saying you ran out of gas, when you did is not really a bad thing. The first thing the Feds will do is open the gas the caps and figure it out anyway. If you fess up the 709 might be a little more straight forward because you admitted it.

Bob

Heard this morning from someone that this guy was supposedly near to taking his CFI ride. He might need to consider a new career path.

Heard this morning from someone that this guy was supposedly near to taking his CFI ride. He might need to consider a new career path.

A bit harsh perhaps. I know my brain is oatmeal right now. I probably wouldn't forget to fuel, but I'm significantly more mentally distracted right now than "normal", that's for sure.

Knock one time off the IMSAFE checklist for me.

Oh, did I mention I'm dreaming in acronyms? Or at least thinking about them in that twilight time in he morning between being fully asleep and fully awake. Haha.

Arrgggggghhhhh! I may not want to look at an airplane or an airplane book for a little while after Halloween. But still more checkrides to go after that...

How about for one, he took off on a cross country flight knowing he didn't have the required reserves for the flight.

That's a willful mistake. This could well have been oversight, taking off not knowing if he had reserves; in aviation, thinking you're good isn't good enough. It could also have been unfamiliarity with the fuel system, set it wrong and ran a tank dry with fuel in other tanks.

Did I hear right, the dude said he was only going up for 10min fuel flight, that would mean he was not a little low on fuel, or he miss planned a long X/c, it would be more like he took off on fumes, WAAAY below VFR fuel reserves. He also seems very chipper about screwing the pooch

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154669421979516&id=205517859515

If he's the same Ian mcmahon out of GA, he's a CPL SEL MEL IFR, and an AP

Last edited:
How about for one, he took off on a cross country flight knowing he didn't have the required reserves for the flight.
So before he left you spoke with the pilot? He was like dude I have 30 mins of gas for an hour flight but those engineers are full of it. I don't need gas.

In that case yes you would be correct.

Somehow I don't think it went down as you seem to think.

IMG_2728.JPG

So before he left you spoke with the pilot? He was like dude I have 30 mins of gas for an hour flight but those engineers are full of it. I don't need gas.

In that case yes you would be correct.

Somehow I don't think it went down as you seem to think.

Took off on a 10 minute flight to buy cheap gas and says the engines started surging almost immediately. Do you think he had a 30 minute reserve?

Unless you're aware of information I haven't seen you're still being unreasonable. It's obvious there wasn't enough fuel. What's not obvious is how the decision making process failed causing this guy to end up on a road out of fuel. Furthermore it's rather ignorant to say he can't be a flight instructor because he made this mistake, especially considering you have no idea what happened during the accident chain and this guy's attitude or thought process. Basically you're being judgemental and obtuse.

It's obvious there was a failure in the planning and execution of the flight. There isn't enough information for the pilot to be judged in the manner you have. Fortunately for the pic what you or anyone else on this board thinks doesn't matter.

The dude has proven he is dangerous.

9d67b2a8f0d024734bb06e2602e7005c.jpg

Unless you're aware of information I haven't seen you're still being unreasonable. It's obvious there wasn't enough fuel. What's not obvious is how the decision making process failed causing this guy to end up on a road out of fuel. Furthermore it's rather ignorant to say he can't be a flight instructor because he made this mistake, especially considering you have no idea what happened during the accident chain and this guy's attitude or thought process. Basically you're being judgemental and obtuse.

It's obvious there was a failure in the planning and execution of the flight. There isn't enough information for the pilot to be judged in the manner you have. Fortunately for the pic what you or anyone else on this board thinks doesn't matter.

In the video I posted above, the pilot, who seems oddly happy go lucky, says it was to be a 10min flight to get fuel.

Now shy of a blockage or something, if this was a running the tanks too low event, seeing how it was only to be a 10min flight, he took off practically empty.

In the video I posted above, the pilot, who seems oddly happy go lucky, says it was to be a 10min flight to get fuel.

Now shy of a blockage or something, if this was a running the tanks too low event, seeing how it was only to be a 10min flight, he took off practically empty.

And the last person to fly that plane, landed without a reserve as well!!!

Back