Aeronca down in rural MO(fatal)

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
https://khqa.com/news/local/2-killed-after-plane-crash-in-pike-county

This is pretty close to me, friends were sending it to me. Scant information from the article but I managed to read the tail number N1976E off one of the photos. Owner's address isn't far from the crash site. I was out of the area but I'm pretty sure conditions were good VFR that day and the time of the call was 6:13pm which would have been good daylight hours.

Looks like it nosed in at too steep of an angle? I see powerlines in the background in one photo but hard to tell how close they are.

In a big, open farm field too… :(

In a big, open farm field too… :(

That's what was bugging me, did they clip the power lines or get too slow too low to the ground and nose in? Seems like it went down wings level and nose first to my untrained eye.

Aw crap, I know that plane.
I just spoke to the owner about 4-5 months ago on FB about his plane. He posted a photo of this plane that I recognized, I think he owned it about a year or less. He worked as a crop duster pilot as far as I can tell.
I knew the pilot who restored that plane in the early 80's when it was in MN and I have time in that plane when I got my first tailwheel experience.
It was a real nice stock Champ the time I flew it in '81.

IMG_0337 (1024x632).jpg

Last edited:
Back