Aeronca "Chief" Posted for a friend

I almost bough one of those as my first plane, really a sweet bird.

Good luck on the sale, you might want to include if its LSA and market it that way, also when the fabric was done.

I love the way those planes sit. Got some more pics?

Brakes slow you down on the ground, breaks drop you from the sky.

Got to love those old Aeroncas. Sadly, they don't carry my fat butt + a passenger... :(

Good luck with the sales. :)

Brakes slow you down on the ground, breaks drop you from the sky.
Also, I before E except after C (for the most part).

Fixing things like this would improve the ad by leaving a better impression about the airplane.

I know you didn't write the ad and I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but there's no such Continental engine as a C65.
Continental used an A in the 65's designation as an A-65 and also for the 75 and 80. I don't believe the C designation came out until the 85 as in C-85.

Now Piper used the "C" in it's plane designation for a Continental as in J-3C for the Continental engine and J-3L for the Lycoming and J-3F for the Franklin. That was a Piper designation and not from Continental.

Last edited:
You guys need to call "Sam" and explain his explain his serious deficiencies in spelling and grammar.

No good deed goes unpunished!

The Chief is the side by side right? Can you hang an O-200 on it and put it on floats?

Side by side.....yes. It is even a good floatplane with an 85 and EDO 1320s.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I know you didn't write the ad and I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but there's no such Continental engine as a C65.
Continental used an A in the 65's designation as an A-65 and also for the 75 and 80. I don't believe the C designation came out until the 85 as in C-85.
C75. http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...755E0696CB285FDF8625797A007399D0?OpenDocument

The A75 was an A65 with a bigger fuel jet, slightly larger venturi, heavier piston pins and a higher redline RPM. I think an A65 could be converted to C65 by installing the C75/C85 accessory case and its electrical equipment. Wheter there's room between the engine and firewall in the Chief for all that is another question.

If it's hand-propped, it's an A65, not a C65.

And if it has the original, cable-operated disc brakes, better have lots of room out front for stopping.

Dan

I have an A-75-8 on my Champ and I do know the difference between the A-65 and an A-75. I helped my IA in converting the engine some years ago. The only differences are some internal parts changes, like drilled rods, different carb parts, prop dia. and pitch change, remarking the tach from 2300 to a 2600RPM red line, and a new data plate from Continental.
All this is covered in the Continental Service Bulletin M47-16.

I was unsure if there was a C-75 designation in addition to the A-75, and yes, you are correct, there is.

But, I still stand by my statement that there is NO such thing as a C-65 Continental engine as designated by the factory, even though some people mistakenly call it that.

An A-65-8 has no place on the rear accessory case machined for accepting a starter or generator, the -12 has those pads built in for those parts. So, whether it has an electrical system or not is defined by the -8 or -12 after the 65, or 75 HP designation, NOT by the A or C in the front.

A properly adjusted cable operated drum or disc brake system does not require a large stopping distance. Mine are just fine with drums, in fact you do not want too much stopping power, like with hydraulic discs. It's too easy to put the plane up on it's nose with poor use of the brakes. Hydraulic brakes are just not needed or wanted on such a light plane.

A properly adjusted cable operated drum or disc brake system does not require a large stopping distance. Mine are just fine with drums, in fact you do not want too much stopping power, like with hydraulic discs. It's too easy to put the plane up on it's nose with poor use of the brakes. Hydraulic brakes are just not needed or wanted on such a light plane.

The cable disc brakes I had on a 7AC were pretty timid. Not much chance of noseover with them. Could barely hold the thing still on the runup. On the later 7EC that had drums, they were a bit better, but I still preferred the hydraulic Clevelands on the Citabrias and regularly did tail-up max-performance stops with them. I was a taildragger instructor on the 7EC and 7GCBC for a time.

Dan

I worked for an FBO that had up to 4 Champs on the line, One of the leased champs the owner decided to put hydraulic disk brakes on it, It took less than a week for a student to roll the plane over on it's back, with the instructor in the back, nothing he could do to undo the excessive brake application by the student. Screaming and hitting him in the head didn't product the desired results fast enough:).

Brian

Now Piper used the "C" in it's plane designation for a Continental as in J-3C for the Continental engine and J-3L for the Lycoming and J-3F for the Franklin. That was a Piper designation and not from Continental.

If it is an Aeronca C65, it is related to the airplane model. The C does designate Continental. The Cont would be a A65. The Aeronca C65 is a pre-war Chief with a Continental engine, 1938-1939. A Lyc 65 engine would be same airplane but an Aeronca L65.

Back