Aeronca Champ

BeachDweller

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BeachDweller
My Dad, who's now 85, was a private in the Army Air Corps in the late 1940's when he scraped together the money to buy private flying lessons. I believe he said it was three dollars an hour for the lessons. He learned to fly in the Aeronca Champ. He later went on to be commissioned as a pilot in the Air Force. His last aircraft was the RF-101 VooDoo. He earned several Distinguished Flying Crosses and Air Medals flying in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. I'm looking for someone who owns a Champ who might be willing to give my Dad a ride in his first airplane. (My Dad doesn't know about this. I'm hoping to surprise him.) I would be willing to pay the owner for the privilege. I live in Oviedo, Florida. My Dad lives in Jacksonville, Florida. I would be willing to travel to meet the owner. Thank you.

Check with Waldo or Jill at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City. I know that Jill is rebuilding a Champ but have no idea where that stands. While your there take a flight in the Stearman it is a blast to fly.

Go to the FAA database:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/acftref_inquiry.aspx

Enter Aeronca for the Manufacturer, and enter 7AC for the model name. When you hit submit, you'll get a list of all matching records with summaries by state. There are 143 Aeronca Champs 7AC in currently registered in Florida with an additional one each of Champs listed as: 7AC/BCM CONV and BL-7AC.

Click on the Florida link which will take you to the registration data for all of the planes. You can also click below...
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...?Mmstxt=2110102&Statetxt=FL&conVal=0&PageNo=1

Then you can look at which airplanes are near you by address and use one of the many internet phone books to see if you can contact the owner.

I did a search similar to the above when I was considering purchasing a Bellanca Super Viking. Found several registered near me and started cold calling. I was able to find several people near me who were very much willing to talk about their experiences with the plane. I suspect you would have a pretty good response as well. I know that if I owned a Champ and someone nearby called me up with a story like yours, I'd be very willing to take your father for a ride.

Good luck in your search.

Jim

My Dad, who's now 85, was a private in the Army Air Corps in the late 1940's when he scraped together the money to buy private flying lessons. I believe he said it was three dollars an hour for the lessons. He learned to fly in the Aeronca Champ. He later went on to be commissioned as a pilot in the Air Force. His last aircraft was the RF-101 VooDoo. He earned several Distinguished Flying Crosses and Air Medals flying in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. I'm looking for someone who owns a Champ who might be willing to give my Dad a ride in his first airplane. (My Dad doesn't know about this. I'm hoping to surprise him.) I would be willing to pay the owner for the privilege. I live in Oviedo, Florida. My Dad lives in Jacksonville, Florida. I would be willing to travel to meet the owner. Thank you.

Try some of these:

Aeronca Aviators Club

Fearless Aeronca Aviators

Bellanca-Champion Club

National Aeronca Association

A little further research shows 4 Champs in the Jacksonville area:

N2648E
BRAZIL, WALTER P
1521 RIVERSIDE AVE, JACKSONVILLE, FL 32200

N715SP
WITT, EDWARD E
4501 ORTEGA FARMS CIR, JACKSONVILLE, FL 32210-7428

N81693
COULLIETTE, BRIAN K
4312 GOLDIE ST, JACKSONVILLE, FL 32207-6827

N84236
RIVERVIEW ENTERPRISES INC.
8672 TURNER RD, JACKSONVILLE, FL 32200

I went to Landings.com to look up the three named pilots above:

Walter Brazil doesn't show up. That means he doesn't have a current medical.

Edward Witt renewed his medical in January of this year; he's a private pilot.

Brian Coulliette renewed his medical April of last year, and he's a flight instructor.

If I were you, I'd start with Brian.

Good luck,

Jim

Last edited:
One more bit of info.

I looked up the registration info on the four planes in Jacksonville, again on the FAA website.

Walter Brazil's (N2648E) doesn't seem to be registered anymore
Edward Witt's (N715SP) was re-registered in January of 2012
Brian Coulliette's (N81693) was re-registered July 30 of this year!
Riverview Enterprises (N84236) also doesn't seem to be registered anymore.

I bet your best shot of success is Brian followed by Edward.

Switchboard.com gives the following contact info for Brian:

Brian K Coulliette
4312 Goldie St
Jacksonville, FL 32207
(904) 737-4546

Let us know how it works out.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks Jim and Steven! Greatly appreciate the info.

Back