aeronca champ

grattonja

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saratoga driver
The guys I rent from just bought one, and it is going to be on the flight line. :yes: Training AND rental. They are looking to light sport. I am looking to a conventional endorsement and renting something low, slow and simple. Also, I figure my stick and rudder skills could use the sort of workout that this plane will give them.

I asked them about manuals so that I could figure out V speeds, etc. Both of them laughed at me in stereo. Apparently, I am going into a much more simple, yet difficult, training process than the skyhawk provides. One guy loaned me an ASA publication on conventional gear, which I am working through.

Anyone here own or fly a champ? Advice, cautions, anecdotes? I am open to all. Hope to get my first training in the yellow and orange beast next week.

Jim G

Advice? Have fun :) Is this at Smoketown? When is it going on the line? That may be the closest plane around here that I can use to get a tailwheel endorsement, and rent.

Joe Williams said:
Advice? Have fun :) Is this at Smoketown? When is it going on the line? That may be the closest plane around here that I can use to get a tailwheel endorsement, and rent.

It will be with Aerotech at Smoketown, as soon as they work out the details. I'm pretty friendly with the owners (2 PP and one IR worth of training $ later) so will probably start breaking them in to the rental process next week. They knew when the bought it that I would be knocking on the door. Wish they had brought the Citabria Super Decathlon that is in tie-downs instead, though. Could get the tailwheel AND go upside down. :D

Jim G

Joe Williams said:

Mark Santangelo (TLC flight training) has one at N47, Pottstown Muni. I think he only rents if for dual instruction though, but you can get your tailwheel endorsement in it.

grattonja said:
Anyone here own or fly a champ? Advice, cautions, anecdotes? I am open to all. Hope to get my first training in the yellow and orange beast next week.

Jim, Matt & Terry bought the one from the guy with the hanger next to the paint/upholstery shop? If that's the plane, I flew it last fall. Nice bird. Not much to know. Heel brakes. I understand why they laughed, the old aircrafts' version of AFM/POH was usually a few mimeographed pages.

I should go see if I can con my way into being the tailwheel instructor...

grattonja said:
I asked them about manuals so that I could figure out V speeds, etc. Both f them laughed at me in stereo.
I think I understand why. Here is a sample of the manuals of the era, this from a 7AC ...

My neighbor has a 46 7ac champ. It is fun, easy and forgiving. It needs a lot more use of the rudder than any thing else I've flown. Enjoy
Quentin

Ed Guthrie said:
Jim, Matt & Terry bought the one from the guy with the hanger next to the paint/upholstery shop? If that's the plane, I flew it last fall. Nice bird. Not much to know. Heel brakes. I understand why they laughed, the old aircrafts' version of AFM/POH was usually a few mimeographed pages.

I should go see if I can con my way into being the tailwheel instructor...

Nope, this one is new to S37. Came from NC. I think Marlin still has his champ, along with Walt and Doris. I think we are up to 3 champs on the field now, maybe more. I have been up in Marlin's (next door to paint shop). It was a pretty neat experience to be so low/slow. Looking forward to it again.

Jim G

Joe Williams said:

Last I heard there is at least one Cub, possibly as many as three, for rent at N99 Brandywine. Don't know if they are only rented dual.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Last I heard there is at least one Cub, possibly as many as three, for rent at N99 Brandywine. Don't know if they are only rented dual.

Len

I didn't know that. But then again, for some reason every time I've been to Brandwine it's been closed. Bad timing on my part, I guess :)

Nav8tor said:
These guys are closer and have a variety of taildraggers for rent from Airknocker to Stearman.

http://www.vansantairport.com/tailwheel.html

VanSant is definitely on my "gotta get there" list. I would love to log some time, particularly in the Stearman. Hopefully I will get my endorsement fairly quickly at the "home" airport. Trying to set up my first Champ ride for Tuesday am. You know, before density altitude mid-day begins.

Jim G

Joe Williams said:
For some reason, I think it would be really neat to have Tiger Moth time in my logbook.

There certainly aren't many places you can get time in one.

grattonja said:
VanSant is definitely on my "gotta get there" list. I would love to log some time, particularly in the Stearman. Hopefully I will get my endorsement fairly quickly at the "home" airport. Trying to set up my first Champ ride for Tuesday am. You know, before density altitude mid-day begins.

Jim G

Vansant is worth going to even if just to watch the comings and goings. My parents live about 4 miles from it and there are always interesting aircraft flying over.

Nav8tor said:
There certainly aren't many places you can get time in one.

Don't know if they still do, but a few years ago (well, more than a few, but the last time I was there) a flight school at Cambridge, England provided ab initio pilot certificate oriented flight instruction in a pair of Tiger Moths.

HD,

What are the insurance requirements going to be? The guy I trained with in the Citabria rents his plane, but his insurance wants 200TT tailwheel, where the heck do you get that kind of tailwheel time? Chicken/egg.

Ken Ibold said:
I think I understand why. Here is a sample of the manuals of the era, this from a 7AC ...

Don't "jazz" the throttle???

Is that like blipping the throttle on a Harley?

Bill Jennings said:
HD,

What are the insurance requirements going to be? The guy I trained with in the Citabria rents his plane, but his insurance wants 200TT tailwheel, where the heck do you get that kind of tailwheel time? Chicken/egg.

You need to own your own tailwheel aircraft then it is not an issue.

Wow, there is NOwhere I can rent any sort of tailwheel plane around here.....I am envious. Andover Aeroflex is beginning (or has begun?) offering dual in a Stearman, and I was thinking of going out there just for an intro lesson. You PA guys are so lucky.

Jim G
Just remember, as the aircraft is inherently unstable on the ground with the tail up, that you are backing up a car/trailer rig at 30 mph.

You will get it and be forever hooked.

Sad Cessna 140 guy who sold his tail ride.

bbchien said:
Just remember, as the aircraft is inherently unstable on the ground with the tail up, that you are backing up a car/trailer rig at 30 mph.

You will get it and be forever hooked.

Sad Cessna 140 guy who sold his tail ride.

Two mornings in a row in the Champ, with 2.9 total hours so far. (Had a couple of slow days at work). Not sure I am going to ever get those TOLs. A familiar feeling.

We went to Keller Bros and did grass field work yesterday. It was cool to land on grass, as my people do not allow the skyhawks and archer to land on grass, so I had never done real grass field landings. I keep wanting to go into flare too high. I think I am finally getting the pitch attitude right for the landings to come well.

Today we spent most of our time on Smoketown's tar. My last landing was really decent, soft and at the right height and I even felt like I got a real feel for the thing. Now, the wheel take offs, OTOH... That is another subject. So far, I find the idea of rolling along at 40 MPH, on the ground, with the mains pinned and the tail up in the air, disconcerting, to say the least. Gotta work on that.

Stalls and steep turns were a piece of cake, and I even hit my own wake on the first left turn. My CFI was a bit nervous about stalls, as apparently it is easy to get a wing down and rotate into a spin in the champ, if you try any aileron control at all. I have tended to try to control stalls with aileron, sometimes. So I was very careful to control it with the rudder. And it went fairly well.

Hand-propping is scary. I do not like being so close to the prop. And I have to very consciously go to the side to get around to the cockpit after the engine catches.

I love the plane though. It is light and slow and easy to use. Ergonomics were not a consideration and everything is basically thrown in wherever. It definitely has it's own personality and I really like it. I look forward to renting it and chugging to some grass strip for lunch.

I will keep all posted as to the progress of my training in the old boy.
Jim G

grattonja said:
So far, I find the idea of rolling along at 40 MPH, on the ground, with the mains pinned and the tail up in the air, disconcerting, to say the least. Gotta work on that.

Yup, it scared the *beep* outta me on every takeoff. I kind of got used to it, but that disconcerting feeling is a good thing, keeps you on the rudder.

I think wheel landings are even scarier, at least on takeoff the prop wash increases the effectiveness of the rudder.

Someday, I will own a tailwheel aircraft.

Back