Aeronca Champ info needed

tinerj

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
tinerj
I soloed in a Champ in 1970. I can't recall some details. (The aircraft N84610 is still flying according to the FAA Registry.) It was an unmodified 1946 model.

What was the fuel capacity, was the tank a nose tank?, was the fuel gauge a float?, and where was the throttle located? On the sidewall so the rear seat flyer could reach it, but on which side?

I should remember those -- but after soloing, I walked away and didn't return to flying for 33 years. And I've not flown a champ since then.

Thanks

I soloed in a Champ in 1970. I can't recall some details. (The aircraft N84610 is still flying according to the FAA Registry.) It was an unmodified 1946 model.

What was the fuel capacity, was the tank a nose tank?, was the fuel gauge a float?, and where was the throttle located? On the sidewall so the rear seat flyer could reach it, but on which side?

I should remember those -- but after soloing, I walked away and didn't return to flying for 33 years. And I've not flown a champ since then.

Thanks

That's a 7AC. 65 horses. Throttle on the left, fuel tank behind the firewall, simple float gauge, 13 gallons capacity (can't remember if there is a separate "usable" amount from 13 gallons but I doubt it, pretty simple and short fuel system.)

Last edited:
All correct so far, but I'll add that the stock nose tank gives 13 total... no unusable, because the fuel exits from the lowest point on the tank. Fuel samples are taken from the gascolator.

Fuel gauge is usually a float type... I've seen some with the wire-thru-the-cap gauge, as you'd see on any Cub with a nose tank, but I believe for a while the factory setup was a float with a linkage to a drum-type gauge mounted on the glareshield.
My personal experience with that one is that it's mostly useful for telling if there is anything in the tank or not- if it's rolling back and forth crazily, you have fuel aboard. :D

Some have an aux tank in the leftwing, that just drains into the main one.

Throttle was on the left, but there were two of them, one for each occupant, and the carb heat was a knob in a small cutout panel in the sidewall, along with the mag switch and fuel shutoff control, placed right beside the pilot's seat back so the guy in the rear could get at those, too. The elevator trim was in the ceiling, on the left side, above the pilot's head, again where the aft guy could get at it.

No mixture control. Brakes were heel-operated, cables to lever-actuated drums. Not much use except to hold it against the runup.

See this page: http://taildraggin.tripod.com/

Dan

Back