Aeronautical Knowledge test

John777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
When IGI or CFI signs off student for his/her aeronautical knowledge test endorsement, how long should the expiration date be off from endorsement start date?

John.

What ever the instructor decides, and what ever the testing company will accept?
I've heard that the test agencies may not accept anything over xx days, it varies, 30-45-60. Hearsay only.

I did not find the endorsement in AC 61-65F

There is no expiration date required in that endorsement.

When IGI or CFI signs off student for his/her aeronautical knowledge test endorsement, how long should the expiration date be off from endorsement start date?

John.

To my knowledge the endorsement doesn't expire.

PRIVATE PILOT ENDORSEMENTS
32. Aeronautical knowledge test: §§ 61.35(a)(1), 61.103(d), and 61.105.
I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) h
as received the required training in accordance with
§ 61.105. I have determined he/she is prepared for the (name
of) knowledge test.
/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-19

§61.35 Knowledge test: Prerequisites and passing grades.
(a) An applicant for a knowledge test must have:

(1) Received an endorsement, if required by this part, from an authorized instructor certifying that the applicant accomplished the appropriate ground-training or a home-study course required by this part for the certificate or rating sought and is prepared for the knowledge test;

(2) After July 31, 2014, for the knowledge test for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating, a graduation certificate for the airline transport pilot certification training program specified in §61.156; and

(3) Proper identification at the time of application that contains the applicant's—

(i) Photograph;

(ii) Signature;

(iii) Date of birth, which shows:

(A) For issuance of certificates other than the ATP certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating, the applicant meets or will meet the age requirements of this part for the certificate sought before the expiration date of the airman knowledge test report;

(B) Prior to August 1, 2014, for issuance of an ATP certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating under the aeronautical experience requirements of §§61.159 or 61.160, the applicant is at least 21 years of age at the time of the knowledge test; and

(C) After July 31, 2014, for issuance of an ATP certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating obtained under the aeronautical experience requirements of §§61.159 or 61.160, the applicant is at least 18 years of age at the time of the knowledge test;

(iv) If the permanent mailing address is a post office box number, then the applicant must provide a current residential address.

(b) The Administrator shall specify the minimum passing grade for the knowledge test

§61.103 Eligibility requirements: General.
To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:

(a) Be at least 17 years of age for a rating in other than a glider or balloon.

(b) Be at least 16 years of age for a rating in a glider or balloon.

(c) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.

(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:

(1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person's home study on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in §61.105(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and

(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.

(e) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in §61.105(b) of this part.

(f) Receive flight training and a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:

(1) Conducted the training in the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and

(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required practical test.

(g) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought before applying for the practical test.

(h) Pass a practical test on the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought.

(i) Comply with the appropriate sections of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

(j) Hold a U.S. student pilot certificate, sport pilot certificate, or recreational pilot certificate.

Last edited:
I wondered about this when I prepared to retake my instrument knowledge test. I had to retake it because the test itself expires after two years, and I had only been endorsed to take it the first time. I learned that the old endorsement was still good: I retested at the same center, they had my old records (including of my CFII's endorsement), and I was able to retake the test without a new endorsement. Since that was over two years since my first time, it was even longer since the endorsement was given.

Bottom line: as others have said, there is no expiration date on the knowledge test endorsement.

(ETA: the word "endorsement". Not sure how I managed to leave that off. :()

Last edited:
To my knowledge the endorsement doesn't expire.

PRIVATE PILOT ENDORSEMENTS
32. Aeronautical knowledge test: §§ 61.35(a)(1), 61.103(d), and 61.105.
I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) h
as received the required training in accordance with
§ 61.105. I have determined he/she is prepared for the (name
of) knowledge test.
/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-19

Thanks, I knew it was there but did not see it on a quick scan while on POA.

Back