Aeromexico 767 "Tail strike"

:DThat'll buff right out. If not, there's always Bondo....

I have been reading about this a lot lately. I was surprised on how often this happens. I asked my friend who is a 767 captain, he said it happens too often. I was even told some captains have done this multiple times.

I haven't seen anything other than a confirmation of the incident, and there were some aircraft that got a flat and other problems because of debris on runway. I'll see if I can find the story.

I thought the 767-300 and -400's had tail skids that could be deployed when the gear is down?

Now Airbus would tell you that if this was their airplane you could not over-rotate it since the computer would not let you. . . . it will let you fly it into the ocean under perfect control from 34000 ft however.

I haven't seen anything other than a confirmation of the incident, and there were some aircraft that got a flat and other problems because of debris on runway. I'll see if I can find the story.

Leaving debris behind?

Concorde anyone?

I thought the 767-300 and -400's had tail skids that could be deployed when the gear is down?

Yes they do, but if the aircraft has a hard tail strike the skid will crush along with the tail cone surface area.

Now Airbus would tell you that if this was their airplane you could not over-rotate it since the computer would not let you. . .

Where does Airbus make that statement?

Airbus (A320,A330,A340) can be over rotated either on landing or takeoff by a careless pilot.

. it will let you fly it into the ocean under perfect control from 34000 ft however.

If you are referring to AF447 A330, yes the aircraft did what the crew commanded.

Now Airbus would tell you that if this was their airplane you could not over-rotate it since the computer would not let you. . . . it will let you fly it into the ocean under perfect control from 34000 ft however.

This actually looks like a -200 that doesn't have a skid. It wouldn't have helped much in this case. Given how far forward the damage extends, it looks like they fully compressed the struts with an excessively high nose up attitude.

I guess this moves the CG just a touch forward. :D

I've flown the 767-200 series quite a bit, including flights that were at MGTOW. The ER version (not sure the AeroMex was that).

It takes a lot of talent to drag the tail on that plane. It's a ridiculous pitch attitude. 13.1 degrees. You're normally airborne around 5deg in my experience. The plane wants to fly.

But, it obviously can be done!!!

Oh and whoever mentioned about Airbus limiting pitch electronically, it's done (at least) during landing on the A340-600 series. As far as I know, all the rest can drag the tail if you work at it.

Back