Aerodynamics for 11yo brainiacs?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Looking for a little help here. My Genuis 11 year old 4th grader nephew is in the Gifted program at his school. The program is doing a unit on Aerodynamics! His teacher asked me to come in and speak to the class. Now I'm an attorney I love talking in front of people adults kids etc. Did a great presentation on GA to my daughters brownie troop. But I gotta tell ya my nephew is SCARY SMART Now if the rest of the kids in his class are like that I'm up the creek without a paddle. These kids talk about Newtons 3rd law of motion ( every action has and equal and opposite reaction) like I talk about whats for dinner. (by the way I knew what Newtons 3rd law was just didn't know it was called that until Sam the genuis told me at 9 last summer. Sheesh.) Any ideas on how to keep it intersting for these Bill Gates of tomrrow?

I have an idea. You should start off by asking them questions. Ask them what they know about aviation, and see how far their knowledge reaches. Then build up from there. Don't just go there and start by "hey kids, this is how a wing works". They probably already know that...

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

PS: if they start getting too smart on you, take a copy of the FAR/AIM... that should put an end to it hehe.

Last edited:
Any ideas on how to keep it intersting for these Bill Gates of tomrrow?

Adam,

Do you have, or could you find someone who would let you borrow, a radio controlled model airplane? Maybe even a couple of different ones with different airfoils. Be sure you know what the advantages and disadvantages are of the various types (flat-bottom, semi-symmetric, symmetric). And maybe re-read your copy of Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators before you go. :yes:

I'd think something like the R/C could give it some "cool factor" without having to bring a real airplane with you. :hairraise: You could discuss some things that aren't necessarily obvious, like adverse yaw, stalls and spins, what "behind the power curve" means and why it happens, etc. I'd think the model would be a very valuable visual aid.

If you can fly it when you're done, all the better. :yes:

In fact, if you could arrange a Young Eagles event to coincide with the conclusion of the unit, that would be most excellent. :yes: :yes:

Have fun!

Wow...that sounds like a tough assignment :D

I guess I would review the entire Aerodynamics chapter in the Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual...

Stick & Rudder might also help...

Some kids are really, I mean REALLY smart - that's scary :yes:

P.S. I liked the idea of bringing along a radio controlled AC...

Thanks guys great ideas. Kent I have a remote control Piper cub park flyer I'll bring great suggestion. I'm also going to get some balsa planes and smear glue on some wings and them dust them with sand to simulate frost. thanks everyone.

Adam If you do a YE thing for them you can count me in. Let me know how many kids and i'll help get the form and Certificates. i have some can get more if needed.
Dave G
P.S. if you ned any Info call me.

Dress up as Bernoulli. :D

Wear this while you explain the principle:
nursingcorset3.jpg

Seriously, don't over think this. Even if they really are brainiacs, they're still 11 years old. Heavy on the pictures and hands-on stuff, light on the lecture.

Please let me know what you find that works. I have a 7 y/o nephew that falls into that "scary smart" category. I'm hoping I get called on to give an 'aviation/airplane' presentation in the future. I'd be interested to hear what really got their thinkers going.

Good luck!

Thanks guys great ideas. Kent I have a remote control Piper cub park flyer I'll bring great suggestion. I'm also going to get some balsa planes and smear glue on some wings and them dust them with sand to simulate frost. thanks everyone.

Adam, does your park flyer have ailerons? I know some only have rudder and elevator. If you need an RC with ailerons, I have one you're welcome to borrow, along with the transmitter so the kids can make the control surfaces move.

Thanks again guys. Gary's site has some cool experiments and Lee No my park flyer does not have ailerons so I'd love to grab yours. Dave, thanks for the offer but its not a YE thing just an inclass presentation.

Chip perhaps I could convince his teacher to wear that. I hear she's about 25 and Smokin:rolleyes:

Chip perhaps I could convince his teacher to wear that. I hear she's about 25 and Smokin:rolleyes:

Now now, she shouldn't be doin that around the kids. Second hand smoke is bad donchaknow? ;)

(seriously, where were these teachers when I was in school?)

Hmmm, need a CFI to come in and explain some things in more detail ?:rofl:

(seriously, where were these teachers when I was in school?)

When I was in high school, one of our student teachers was Miss July from the Women of Wisconsin calendar.

I don't recall ever actually LEARNING anything from her, but I don't think that reflected on her teaching skills at all. ;)

Back