Aerodynamic term I had not heard of until now

A CFI candidate is supposed to have a more in-depth level of knowledge than the average pilot, hence this question appearing on the CFI written.

That being said even the PPL writtens have gotten a little ridiculous with their questions. I have had several students recently coming back scratching their head on certain questions with multiple correct answers, or calculation questions where after doing all the math we came up with 120 for example, but the given answers are 118 and 122. Splitting hairs when having to use performance grid charts or sectionals.

What, you mean like the commercial HSI questions where the HSI completely defies physics? o_O

I remember that term! Mischa (my long term CFI) trotted out phugoid one day during one of our cross countries back when I was first working on my PP. We'd nudge the yoke and watch the plane go through the phugoid oscillations and settle back in. A great lesson on positive dynamic stability on that calm smooth day we tooled across Texas all those years ago.

Back