Aerobatics lesson #8, final lesson :-(

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Lesson #7 left us at the de-brief, so we walked and talked back to the hangar party, and we each snarfed another brat before the second lesson. I guess I must be getting used to unusual attitudes if I can snarf bratwurst and then go fly aerobatics.

We head out (oh, and on the last few takeoffs, we've been adding full power from the get go, and flying the tail early) and do our warm ups again.

We then start off with two circuits of the loop, barrel left/rignt, cuban 8. the first one is ok, but I nail the second one, and John is very happy. We then do a few Emmelman turns, and these are a bit spooky. I feel a bit vulnerable rolling at the top of the loop, when you don't have much airspeed. After the Emmelmans, we do two cloverleafs, again the first one good, but the second one was GREAT!!! After the last loop and rolling out on our initial heading, I look and find I only lost 150ft for the whole four loop maneuver. Not too shabby.

This being the last lesson, John wants me to do two spins in a row, so we climb much higer, and I to a 3 turn spin to the right, and immediately after recovery, pitch up and then enter a 3 turn left spin. Our spins done, we again oblique spit-S back towards the field, and I put a nice 3 pointer down on the grass. I swear I felt the tailwheel come down first, then the mains settled gently onto the grass.

And with that, my brief tango with aerobatics is over. After the de-brief, John autographs my logbook. Two new endorsements, tailwheel airplane and spin training! John says my flying has improved at least 10 fold over the 8 lessons, and I can feel it.

My initial reasons for taking the class were to get unusual attitude training. I didn't know if I would like it (I do), but figured it would be "good medicine" regardless. I felt that this training could someday save my bacon.

Sadly, I'll now be leaving aerobatics for a while as I chase my IR ticket, but as MacArther said, "I shall return".

I feel almost 100% that there is a Citabria in my future, and when that time comes, I'll once again ride along at 1000agl with the windows open, and moo at the cows. I'll once again loop and roll and spin. I can't wait!!!

For those of you who haven't taken any aerobatic/unusual attitude training, get out there! Find a good instructor and learn some of this stuff!!! Not only is it good medicine, its a REAL GOOD TIME.

Last edited:
Bill Jennings said:
I guess I must be getting used to unusual attitudes if I can snarf bratwurst and then go fly aerobatics.
LOL! Yep. :)
Bill Jennings said:
(oh, and on the last few takeoffs, we've been adding full power from the get go, and flying the tail early)
Does that mean you add full power with the brakes on? What was he trying to show you? Did he say it was for a particular reason?
Bill Jennings said:
We then do a few Emmelman turns, and these are a bit spooky. I feel a bit vulnerable rolling at the top of the loop, when you don't have much airspeed.
Did he have you use left, or right rudder to roll back upright with the Cuban and the Immelmann? Did the engine quit with the Immelmann, or any of the other maneuvers?
Bill Jennings said:
And with that, my brief tango with aerobatics is over.
:(

Does he rent the Citabria for students to solo?
Bill Jennings said:
John says my flying has improved at least 10 fold over the 8 lessons, and I can feel it.
Learning aerobatics and doing spin training will do that for you. :yes:
Bill Jennings said:
Find a good instructor
That can be difficult. Sometimes an unsuspecting student won't even know the difference until getting feedback from others.

I'm glad you enjoyed your aerobatic training Bill and hope you can get back to it soon. Thanks for sharing your lessons and your enthusiasm with us. :)

Diana said:
Does that mean you add full power with the brakes on? What was he trying to show you? Did he say it was for a particular reason?

When we started the lessons, we added about 65% power, flew the tail for a long time, then added full power as we rotated. Now, he says I've had enough experience on the rudders to be able to add full power from the start. No, we didn't use the brakes, and I had a hard time with the brakes in general. This Citabria had heel brakes, and with my long legs it literally hurt to use the brakes while keeping my toes on the rudder. When the time comes, MY Citabria will have toe brakes.

Did he have you use left, or right rudder to roll back upright with the Cuban and the Immelmann? Did the engine quit with the Immelmann, or any of the other maneuvers?

For the Cubans and the Immelmann, he says we will always roll left. I don't know why he prefered left, but he did. Same for the cloverleaf, roll left.

Does he rent the Citabria for students to solo?

He does, but his insurance stipulates the pilot have 200hrs tailwheel time. Chicken and egg. :(

Bill Jennings said:
When we started the lessons, we added about 65% power, flew the tail for a long time, then added full power as we rotated. Now, he says I've had enough experience on the rudders to be able to add full power from the start.
Interesting. Never heard of doing that in TW training before. Hmmmmm. He must have a good reason for doing that.
Bill Jennings said:
This Citabria had heel brakes
Yuck, I don't like heel brakes; seems unnatural somehow.
Bill Jennings said:
When the time comes, MY Citabria....
Sounds like you're serious about the Citabria. :)
Bill Jennings said:
For the Cubans and the Immelmann, he says we will always roll left.
When you rolled left while inverted, which rudder did he have you use?
Bill Jennings said:
He does, but his insurance stipulates the pilot have 200hrs tailwheel time. Chicken and egg. :(
Well, dang it. :(

Diana-

I suspect the reduced power TO's were to give the student more time to learn directional control. The 150-160 HP 7 series aircraft get in the air too quickly to provide much TO rudder practice. The ECA is probably a better basic conventional gear trainer, NOT aerobatic trainer, because of the reduced power, longer TO run, and the requirement for more accurate pitch control to obtain a good climb.

Tom-

Diana-

No doubt tow brakes are more convienent but after you get used to them heel brakes become second nature and may even be preferred in some instances.

Tom-

Skyport said:
Diana-

I suspect the reduced power TO's were to give the student more time to learn directional control. The 150-160 HP 7 series aircraft get in the air too quickly to provide much TO rudder practice. The ECA is probably a better basic conventional gear trainer, NOT aerobatic trainer, because of the reduced power, longer TO run, and the requirement for more accurate pitch control to obtain a good climb.

Tom-

Bingo! When we started, we'd go 60-65% power, and he'd have me fly the tail and dance the rudders almost the whole length of the runway (2200ft grass field). Just before the far end threshold, I would then add full power while rotating.

Even on the full power takeoffs, he had me stick it almost full forward and dance on the pedals until we were going pretty darned fast. Just more time to practice the dance, I suppose.

Diana said:
Sounds like you're serious about the Citabria. :)

I'm trying to sell "the management" on a two place fun bird. Although she hasn't flown with me yet (nerves of taffy, that girl ;) ), she wants us to get a "family" plane instead. I want to impliment the Ken Ibold model, own the Citabria, rent the club's cans for family travel.

You two have the best of both worlds, a Citabria and a travel Skyhawk. Lucky dog. :cheerswine:

When you rolled left while inverted, which rudder did he have you use?

I see what you're doing, your trying to get that aileron roll thing going again :hairraise:

He had me use coordinated full left aileron and full left rudder on the rolls in the cuban 8's, cloverleaf, and Emmelmann.

Bill Jennings said:
I'm trying to sell "the management" on a two place fun bird. Although she hasn't flown with me yet (nerves of taffy, that girl ;) ),
She hasn't flown with you yet? Is Gaston's going to be her first ride with you?
Bill Jennings said:
she wants us to get a "family" plane instead. I want to impliment the Ken Ibold model, own the Citabria, rent the club's cans for family travel.
Maybe when Ken gets back, he can give you some pointers on how to effectively present the plan to "the management". ;)

Bill Jennings said:
You two have the best of both worlds, a Citabria and a travel Skyhawk. Lucky dog. :cheerswine:
Funny, we end up taking the Citabria traveling most of the time anyway. Even for camping under the wing at OSH. We could take twice the stuff if we took the Skyhawk; defies logic. :)

The poor old neglected Skyhawk needs to be painted. We'll take her to Gaston's since there will be four of us flying down (and we'll park her WAY down at the end so nobody looks too closely at her.) As soon as we get over the shock of doing the major, and then recover the Citabria, we'll get her painted, or sell her, one or the other.
Bill Jennings said:
I see what you're doing, your trying to get that aileron roll thing going again :hairraise:
LOL! Bill, do you think it's time to bring it up again? :no:
Bill Jennings said:
He had me use coordinated full left aileron and full left rudder on the rolls in the cuban 8's, cloverleaf, and Emmelmann.
Must have worked well, then. Another area of controversy.

Let's go flying in the Citabria at Gaston's. :)

Diana said:
She hasn't flown with you yet? Is Gaston's going to be her first ride with you?

Doubt it, I've asked, and so far, NO is the answer.

Just to clarify, she is the type who, when flying in a large airliner, digs into the armrests at the first hint of turb. Before starting down this road, she flew with me and an instructor on the disco flight, and did say that she'd be willing to fly someday...I just haven't figured out when someday will be. :dunno:

Let's go flying in the Citabria at Gaston's. :)

Can't wait, hope the weather is VFR for the flight over :yes:

Back