Aerobatic training

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
I'm finally starting my aerobatic training in a Citabria Scout.. I'm looking for some advice from others.. Best way to learn, will I get sick at first? Anyone have any learning materials, DVDs, or books they would be willing to sell? Thanks all!

Last edited:
Best way to learn...

A good instructor to begin with, and then self-study. Most of our knowledge is self-taught. If you have a true interest, the best aerobatics book you can get your hands on is Alan Cassidy's 'Better Aerobatics'. Covers concepts from beginner to Unlimited competition flying.

will I get sick at first?

Many do, some don't. If you do, don't let that turn you off too much, or have you convinced that aerobatics is not for you. Same if it makes you nervous. Lots start out that way. If you're the motion sick type, like anything, you'll build tolerance. Same for G's. Most are shocked by 4Gs and a single negative G the first time. You build tolerance.

Best way to keep from getting sick is to eat something light first. Don't go on an empty stomach or a full stomach. Stay hydrated. Do as much flying yourself as possible. Keep it short. And if your stomach starts even hinting at an uneasy feeling, it's time to knock it off and head for the airport. It never gets better, only worse. Your instructor should be able to address any questions or concerns you have before getting started. Have fun!

Thanks! Can't wait to start! I did an into to aerobatics in a Christian Eagle II... Quite the adrenaline rush! Blue skies to you

Also, whatever light food you eat make sure it isn't greasy. A bag of chips vs. a banana and apple for example.... Before I flew a friend in his sukhoi I made the mistake of eating a good breakfast at home of oatmeal and blueberries with soy milk which would have been just fine but when I got to the airport I had a donut at the FBO .... Bad idea. I didn't lose it but I wasn't comfortable.

You'll have fun. See if the CFI can cover some just plain unusual attitudes too.

Be sure to check back here ....

^ Yep...banana, crackers, ginger ale. Don't forget to breath.

Agree with all the above and would add I find that a constant flow of fresh air helps too - keep the vents full open and blowing in your face.

Have a great time!

'Gimp

I just did some spins for the first time yesterday. I had a light breakfast of some toast and a granola bar. The first couple of spin entires were disorienting. The next few were tons of fun. By the last few, I started to feel sweaty but not sick. After we were done, I took off my hat and opened the window. I felt fine by the time I landed, about 15 minutes later. Our recoveries maxed out at +3G. Thankfully, I didn't have to use the hat.

Duane Cole's, "Roll around a point". It's the best practical explanation I've seen in 35 years.

Back