Aerobatic plane that I can crop dust with?

Discussion in 'Aerobatics' started by Michflyer, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Blueangel

Blueangel Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    Air tractor is good plane

GlennAB1 likes this.
  2. stearmann4

stearmann4 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    stearmann4
    Michflyer,

What you're looking for doesn't;t actually exist, mainly due to the aforementioned change up between standard and restricted categories. You could get an Ag Cat or Stearman in restricted category, and they'll do basic level acro just fine, but it's not legal, but that may not matter the way you're proposing to use them. Id say a restricted (agricultural) category airplane is mandatory if you're going to write it off. Its your one defense if an auditor asks how can your plane be a legitimate spray plane? There quite a few C-185s, and Super Cubs in the U.S that are dual category, restricted or standard based on whether or not you have the spray equipment installed. Although none are particularly aerobatic.

As for the Stearman powerplant debate, a 450 Stearman won't do any maneuvers a stock ship can't, it's just a matter of the skill of the meat servo behind the stick, and the fact that you won't lose as much altitude doing them in a 450. I fly crop dusters (turbine, not Stearmans), own a stock Stearman, and fly an ag-stearman with a 600hp R-1340, I much prefer the well balanced control harmony of a stock plane any day. the 600 feels like the control locks are still engaged.

Mike-

N3368K likes this.
  3. cfiiguy

cfiiguy Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    cfiiguy
    Jim,
    your dad was a legend here!! I learned to fly in 74 at KVNW, and all the old timers were like,"you should of been around when Rice was here!" I believe we have meet a couple times at VNW. Wish I could have met him, if he was only half the pilot he is in those stories, I would loved to have met him!! Sunny Skies!!

4. GlennAB1

GlennAB1 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    GlennAB1
    That is true. And, I've seen those drivers do aerobatics when they cropdust.

5. RoscoeT

RoscoeT Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    RoscoeT
    Yeah - there's nothing a professional ag sprayer likes more than throwing in a few loops and rolls between passes. ;)

lbfd101 likes this.
  6. GlennAB1

GlennAB1 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    GlennAB1
    Corrected:

7. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    I crop dust in my Cherokee all the time. The trick is to not tell anyone.

I was flying with my daughter one day and she gave me the Stuey Griffen, "daddy....daddy...daddy...daddy" "WHAT?" "I farted in your plane."

She's 20.