Aerobatic LSA... maybe

The first Lycoming comet should be here in the Fall. The guys there told us that they are working on their own inverted oil and fuel injection systems. In the interim, the systems available from Christen will be an approved modification.

It's got a great roll rate and is just simply a blast to fly.

Attachments

• DSC_0070-1_hf.jpg
    DSC_0070-1_hf.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01308.JPG
    DSC01308.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • DSC01347.JPG
    DSC01347.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
I've been waiting for it.
A couple years ago I saw an LSA bipe with a Rotec radial. I'm not sure what happened to it.

I've been waiting for it.
A couple years ago I saw an LSA bipe with a Rotec radial. I'm not sure what happened to it.

We talked to the Rotec guys but they weren't interested in working on ASTM certification. We would love to have their R2800 available for the Comet kits when they are available though.

We talked to the Rotec guys but they weren't interested in working on ASTM certification. We would love to have their R2800 available for the Comet kits when they are available though.

That's unfortunate. An LSA with a radial is something I would buy.
Especially a bipe with a radial.

A 65 horse Pitts S1C can squeeze in under the LSA limits...

I've seen a couple folks advertise their 65hp. S-1C as LSA-compliant, but I still have trouble believing they truly shaved the stall speed down to 45 kt (51.8 mph) from just the ~75 lb. weight reduction of the A-65. That's almost 10 mph less than a stock S-1C. Seems like a lot to ask without making design changes (more wing). Of course, if you build it, I guess you can certificate it however you like, as long as the DAR believes your claimed performance figures. :)

Looks like a fun little airplane, what about the RV-12? Is that aerobatic?

All airplanes are aerobatic. :) ...but the RV-12 was not designed for, nor stressed for what the FAA has in mind for aerobatic aircraft.

Last edited:
Back