Aero video

That frenchman is crazy, I've seen other videos of his - including flying through a rock cut. Hey is that standard practice to try to keep your head level with the horizon? Seems like he does some wild head-bobbing there to keep up with things!
Also, at 5:50, it sure looks like one main wheel is larger (the farthest one, too) than the other, whats with that?

Let'sgoflying! said:
That frenchman is crazy, I've seen other videos of his - including flying through a rock cut. Hey is that standard practice to try to keep your head level with the horizon? Seems like he does some wild head-bobbing there to keep up with things!
Also, at 5:50, it sure looks like one main wheel is larger (the farthest one, too) than the other, whats with that?

I think the head "bobbing" isn't necessarily to keep the eyes level with the horizon, but rather to maintain the head upright relative to the pull of gravity. Kind of the opposite side of your instructor telling you to keep your head aligned with the airplane in a turn so you can feel the coordination.

I'm pretty sure the wheel size thing is illusion, possibly because of the different apparent texture of the two different sides of the tires. Might also be partially due to a long lens taking the picture.

Man, once in a while I start to feel like some masterey of flying is within my grasp, but then something like this comes along and clearly indicatest my grasshopper status.

I believe he's Hungarian, actually. The woman I believe is Russian.

Let'sgoflying! said:

mgkdrgn said:
I believe he's Hungarian, actually.

Peter Besenyei - Hungary - Creator of the infamous Red Bull Air Race.
As for being crazy. I don't think so in the least. Anyone that's crazy doing what he does would be dead real quick. He's just good.
I've seen several of his other videos and he looks way too relaxed and having loads of fun doing aerobatics. More of his stuff including the tianmen cave flight between over and under the rocks all at the same time:
http://www.haute-voltige.com/inter/videos/videos.htm

mgkdrgn said:
The woman I believe is Russian.

Svetlana Kapanina - Russia - She's been flying FAI competitions for about 10 yrs

Like many i dream many nights of flying the fast movers in the AF, but 2nd would be an extra or one of the sorts, mabe some day i will become wealthy enough to buy one. Those videos just amaze me, skill art and grace

lancefisher said:
I think the head "bobbing" isn't necessarily to keep the eyes level with the horizon, but rather to maintain the head upright relative to the pull of gravity.

I guess I don't see the difference - around here anyway, gravity pulls the same orientation as the horizon!

Maybe they teach aeroB students to lean into the turns etc, unlike what they teach us in pp school.

Sorry someone told me he was French. Thanks for the update.

awesome video, thanks for sharing.

Am I the only one who thinks that Svetlana, besides being an apparently-awesome pilot, is also not the ugliest thing I ever looked at?

(Ducks for cover).

Totally awesome! Makes one think about trying a loop and roll. I don't think I could ever do anything like that. I like to watch aerobatics, though.

SCCutler said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Svetlana, besides being an apparently-awesome pilot, is also not the ugliest thing I ever looked at?

(Ducks for cover).

ugly, :no: .

exotic, :yes: .
unbeilevably capable, :hairraise:

is that why i'm so deeply in lust?

SCCutler said:

(Ducks for cover).

If that's the ugliest thing you've ever seen you've had an exceptionally picturesque life... not too mention the extra points she gets for the way she handles the piloting of that stick.

Last edited:
SCCutler said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Svetlana, besides being an apparently-awesome pilot

Apparently? Well, I for one won't be throwing a gauntlet at her feet demanding a head to head who's the better aerobatics pilot challenge anytime soon:
http://events.fai.org/aerobatics/pilot.asp?id=142&chron=88

SCCutler said:
is also not the ugliest thing I ever looked at?

I've seen some of her other pictures over the years. Ugly? No. Best looking? No. Then again, who is at any random given moment in time? It's a very subjective viewpoint.

Not everyone concentrates on their looks when they're doing the one thing they're truly great at. Sometimes they're just too busy being supremely awesome to worry about looks. Besides, that was probably just another routine airshow for her and nothing to get dressed up about. Comfortable jeans and favorite ragged shirt kind of day most likely.
Just try to remember that while appearance is socially preferred and highly encouraged in this society, the real important thing is who a person is. A pretty paint job won't get you anywhere in the long run if the airframe underneath is corroded to dust.

fgcason said:
Svetlana Kapanina - Russia - She's been flying FAI competitions for about 10 yrs

I saw her in competition a few years ago on the old Discovery Wings channel. For some reason she was my favorite.... :)

Speaking of the old Discovery Wings channel.
I was very disappointed when they converted it to the 'Military channel'.
Much of the GA related programs got pulled out.

Wonder if we all set the Discovery channel email asking for the "Wings" channel to return.. ;)
Just a thought..

Back