Aero Glass Beta Test

petrolero

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
I signed up. Anyone else sign up for the beta program?

I'm not usually a glutton for punishment, which is a prerequisite for beta testers and early adopters, but I liked this concept more than most.

Beta users... report back as you get phone calls from them (they claimed everyone in the beta program would receive a phone call), and as you receive your gear and test it out.

I'm a Beta tester as well... I'm crossing my fingers that this works out for the best, as early adopters (I like to think integrators) can be on the bleeding edge or feel its cutting edge. But for the most part I like to think the sunk costs are mainly in the equipment which should drive a decent price in resale if necessary (of course I'd be short a few franklins).

Personally I am very excited at the technology, and look forward to help drive a potential newer technology towards mainstream.

I haven't received a call either, but I'm sure they are really deep in sign ups, Edit:Survey results, potential new investors...not to mention a burgeoning new beta that has yet to be soft released.

I wish I could have been there for OSH this year, but I couldn't break away. I just hope they honor the promises for subscriptions. I was number 124 on the invoice, I surely hope that counts towards their 200.

Cheers

Last edited:
Order #195....

#153. I also have a thread about it ("it shall be mine")

I'm always happy to be a beta tester... But I've never had to pay to be a tester before! They're just using that as an excuse to sell an unfinished product. :mad:

I did try it out, but the imager on the glasses is always too low so nothing is where it should be, and that won't change because it's a problem with the hardware.

The other thing with it is that it doesn't really replace anything the way an EFB does. It's a nice extra, but it sure won't be saving you any money.

Usually people who are helping out don't have to pay $1000 bucks in order to be of service. I'm all for being a beta tester but not if I have to shell out my own money to do so.

Usually people who are helping out don't have to pay $1000 bucks in order to be of service. I'm all for being a beta tester but not if I have to shell out my own money to do so.

That's only true if you are testing software. And they are giving away their software at this point. But hardware is hardware and you have to pay for that.

Last edited:
I received a thank you note today and was requested to log into their Aero Glass Help Center which looks like a mini forum through zendesk.com.

Their FAQ says they are looking at 30 to 60 days to get all the hardware shipped, with priority to those who purchased on site at Oshkosh. About what I expected. They still claim a Q4 2014 commercial release.

They said they are fixing problems that they heard about at KOSH and after and are actively test flying the product.

Their FAQ says this about the Pioneer Beta Program...

What do I get for a lifetime subscription?

When the product is in full release, we will operate on a subscription model similar to other navigation apps. By signing up for our beta program, you will never again have to pay for a subscription and will get data updates for free forever. You also get the opportunity to provide direct feedback to the development team and help us create our next versions.

...which is exactly what they promised.

Looks like users can post comments and bugs and requests on this community and they say their dev team will try to respond daily.

There is also a disclaimer saying, obviously, that no one should rely on these glasses for anything other than enhanced SA. Well of course, but they have to say it.

Here we go... just waiting for the hardware.

Last edited:
Here's their answer regarding compatibility with ForeFlight...

We spoke with the 2 founders of ForeFlight at Oshkosh and they seemed very interested in working together. We are continuing discussions with them. At a minimum, we would like to let you push your FPL from ForeFlight to Aero Glass including when updating in flight.
Please let ForeFlight know you would like this integration to happen.
Unfortunately, it seems like Appareo (Stratus) is pretty married to their exclusive relationship with ForeFlight and Sporty's. Please contact them and let them know you would like to like to use your Stratus with Aero Glass.

That's only true if you are testing software. And they are giving away their software at this point. But hardware is hardware and you have to pay for that.

The glasses cost 699 direct from epson, the beta glasses with software costs 995 from aero glass.

Your paying 296 dollars for "free" software.

It sounds interesting, but besides from a movie there is NO actual info on how everything integrates. I already have an FMS and ipad with the flight plans. Adding the input of a 3rd flight plan is getting silly unless they integrated well, and they have no actual info, just pretty pictures.

I will wait until i see how it pans out. I think this will all get much cheaper in the future, 2,000 is a lot of coin for hopes and dreams.

Last edited:
The glasses cost 699, the beta glasses with software costs 995.

And it needs the iLevel unit for the GPS feed?, correct? So another outlay of cash if you didn't already have that.

The glasses cost 699 direct from epson, the beta glasses with software costs 995 fromawro glass.

It sounds interesting, but besides from a movie there is NO actual info on how everything integrates. I already have an FMS and ipad with the flight plans. Adding the input of a 3rd flight plan is getting silly unless they integrated well, and they have no actual info, just pretty pictures.

I will wait until i see how it pans out. I think this will all get much cheaper in the future, 2,000 is a lot of coin for hopes and dreams.

A wise decision, no doubt. :thumbsup:

Want to thank all the beta testers who came up with the money. Will wait to see how it works out. Also what the price is when it comes to market.

Got notice from UPS that they shipped something, 4 lbs, from Aero Glass. I did not get any shipping notice email from Aero Glass, just a UPS notification, so I don't know if this shipment includes the iLevil SW or just glasses. Due to arrive 9/25. Letcha know what's up.

Phone books, bricks, rocks :D

Back