aera 310 integrated GNS 530W?

182driver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
182driver
aera 510 integrated GNS 530W?

If you have a Garmin Aera 510 wired in, can it interface to a GNS-530W in any useful way? Maybe display the XM Wx on the 530 or maybe transfer flight plans? I don't think the Aera can do anything except provide music to the audio panel (there is a music input) and that doesn't have anything to do with the 530.

Last edited:
The FAA generally does not allow transfer of data from a noncertified system like a handheld Aera 510 to a certified system like an installed GNS530W, but transfer from certified to noncertified is acceptable. Thus, they'll allow you to transfer flight plan data and the like from a 530 to an Aera 510, but they will not allow the Aera 510 to upload XM weather data into the 530 for display on the 530.

Re: aera 510 integrated GNS 530W?

Yes, Aera 510 not 310 like I said originally - sorry. Thanks for the link.

I have the manual for the Aera 510 but it does not say anything about integrating with the 530W, probably because it basically doesn't. This is a "new" plane for me and the listing said that it integrates, but I didn't know what that meant. I didn't have high expectations.

I know the FAA did not allow transfer to certified devices in the past, but I have read recently that they have changed their position and allow it in some cases as long as you have a confirm button or something on the certified unit. This is one example, maybe: http://ipadpilotnews.com/2012/08/aspen-connected-pilo-gets-certified/

Last edited:
The FAA generally does not allow transfer of data from a noncertified system like a handheld Aera 510 to a certified system like an installed GNS530W, but transfer from certified to noncertified is acceptable. Thus, they'll allow you to transfer flight plan data and the like from a 530 to an Aera 510, but they will not allow the Aera 510 to upload XM weather data into the 530 for display on the 530.

The Garmin Connext system will allow Garmin Pilot products (iPad/Android) to load flight plans to GNS/GTN series boxes. Not a cheap solution, but it exists.

Back