Advocasy

TriGear28

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TriGear28
ok... here's an idea.

Take you're local politician on a free flight!

Take the mayors, city councilmen/women, reps, senators on a flight.

With the apparent disregard for general aviation, wouldn't it be good to have more advocates in the centers of our communities? Get it on the air! Get the "small a/c pilot takes mayor 'x' up for a flight around city 'y'" kind of story.

Advocates, that's what we need! Anyone know one to sign up?

Any programs like this around already?

I agree! The more positive publicity the better. We know how awesome we are but we are very much the minority. We gotta keep in front of the layfolk otherwise most of the publicity comes to them by way of news regarding plane crashes. :yesnod:

fba

Bribes usually work better.

-Rich

I suspect in some jurisdictions a free flight might be considered a bribe. Likely depends on the value of the gift, the political office held by the person, and probably the phase of the moon.

Same problem - to a smaller extent - might come up when offering free rides to journalists. A matter of journalistic integrity and all that stuff.

(How many politicians and journalists worry about their integrity?)

That said, can't hurt to make the offer.

A good way to approach these political flights is as an educational demonstration, which is what it is. Almost any number could be given to demonstrate various things about GA safely in action.

I suspect in some jurisdictions a free flight might be considered a bribe. Likely depends on the value of the gift, the political office held by the person, and probably the phase of the moon.

Same problem - to a smaller extent - might come up when offering free rides to journalists. A matter of journalistic integrity and all that stuff.

(How many politicians and journalists worry about their integrity?)

That said, can't hurt to make the offer.

You are correct.
We've been using this tactic as seaplane pilots in the WSPA for years with everyone from politicians to neighbors and it is generally very helpful.

ok... here's an idea.

Take you're local politician on a free flight!

Take the mayors, city councilmen/women, reps, senators on a flight.

With the apparent disregard for general aviation, wouldn't it be good to have more advocates in the centers of our communities? Get it on the air! Get the "small a/c pilot takes mayor 'x' up for a flight around city 'y'" kind of story.

Advocates, that's what we need! Anyone know one to sign up?

Any programs like this around already?

Talk to your local volunteer fire department or sheriff's department about helping with search and rescue. Talk to the local county engineer about taking some pictures of the local road projects, floods, city / country property. Google Earth has changed a lot of that, but up to date photos of their latest road or bridge repair might help. :dunno:

Politicians? If I got them in the air I would bring one parachute and jump. :lol: ;)

Talk to the town tax folks. They'd love a ride to find all those unapproved and untaxed porches and additions. Another undeveloped UAV market, town tax and zoning boards.
Talk to your local volunteer fire department or sheriff's department about helping with search and rescue. Talk to the local county engineer about taking some pictures of the local road projects, floods, city / country property. Google Earth has changed a lot of that, but up to date photos of their latest road or bridge repair might help. :dunno:

Politicians? If I got them in the air I would bring one parachute and jump. :lol: ;)

The mayor of Daly City is a pilot who wants to fly with me, should happen soon.

Haha I needed to read that twice, I saw "mayor" and "Daly" and initially envisioned pushing him out the door 3,000 feet over Meigs Field.

"Why are you pushing me out????"

"I can't LAND there to drop you off!"

THe last Young Eagles event, I got to fly the US Representative and his son, and also the local house representative and his son. Both were instrumental in getting the funding for the airport expansion project. So I guess THEY are advocates of aviation. When I ran into the rep, he again thanked me for the flight. His son was all wound up about flying.
I think anything you can do to draw people into aviation is worth the time. The EAA programs, Young Eagles and the adult Eagles, work well especially when you wrap a whole days event around it.

Back