Advise for cloning, HD backup

Larryo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Larryo
All,

I'm not a computer geek, especially with Windows. I use a Motion 1300 and I need to upgrade the video to handle Direct-X to run Seattle Avionics software.

Motion no longer supports this so I'm looking for help.

Also, I need a sharp geek to help me back up the HD. I've tried Ghost and Acronis without success. Any help?

Thanks

Also, I need a sharp geek to help me back up the HD. I've tried Ghost and Acronis without success. Any help?

Thanks
What are you backing up to with Acronis? You have an external USB hard drive? You should be able to make an image over the network to another PC.

What are you backing up to with Acronis? You have an external USB hard drive? You should be able to make an image over the network to another PC.

Mike,

My goal is to back up the whole HD, so when it crashes, I simply change it. I've got a separate back up HD, in a case that was connected to my tablet for the back up. I worked with the Acronis Tech guy for a week to get this to work and told him I'd pay double the price if he could get it to work..... but didn't.

I did get Ghost to work but not repeatable..... poor support. Unfortunately, I'm not a geek and have a hard time with this stuff. Any thoughts?

If neither Acronis nor Ghost will clone the drive (and assuming you've already run CHKDSK), I'd wager a bet that either the hard drive is malfunctioning in some way, there's a chipset problem, or something (most likely the CPU, the chipset, or the drive itself) is overheating during the copy process. I've never had a hard drive fail to clone using any reputable software unless one or the other of those problems existed.

For what it's worth, I usually use a program called Casper when I want to clone Windows drives from within Windows. It's main advantages are that it runs from within Windows and doesn't need a reboot, it's easy for clients to use, and it can be set up as a scheduled task.

But as I said, I would suspect a hardware problem in this case. Acronis, at least, usually is trouble-free. (Don't know about Ghost because I haven't used it in years.)

Rich

Were you able to get Acronis to boot off a CD? Sometimes there are issues with Acronis booting and not recognizing all your hardware and thus not seeing your external drives.

The solution? A BartPE Bootable CD with an Acronis Plug-in on it. IT boots up a base image of XP so it will see your USB options and such. If you will send me a PM with an address I'll send you a copy of the Boot CD (Acronis TrueImage 10) since you're already a licensed user.

Were you able to get Acronis to boot off a CD? Sometimes there are issues with Acronis booting and not recognizing all your hardware and thus not seeing your external drives.

The solution? A BartPE Bootable CD with an Acronis Plug-in on it. IT boots up a base image of XP so it will see your USB options and such. If you will send me a PM with an address I'll send you a copy of the Boot CD (Acronis TrueImage 10) since you're already a licensed user.

Tim,

The Acronis booted ok, but it's been a year or so. But I'm sure if I don't do some form of backup it will all quit and I be up the creek.

I'd really like to find a geek guru that would just do it for me, and give me some info on how to do it again, without a ton of time spent. I can't afford the hours of experimenting with whats "suppose" to work.

I sure which Mac had a tablet with the aviation stuff on it......

Back