advice

GAZOO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GAZOO
Been checking out stearmans. Any pros & cons would be appreciated? I love the idea of an open cockpit, think it would be fun

Been checking out stearmans. Any pros & cons would be appreciated? I love the idea of an open cockpit, think it would be fun

Find one with a 985, IMO best of breed for fun flying. I flew one with a 1340, and it was awful. The 220 Continental is OK, but a bit lackluster coming out of a 450hp model. Fly a biplane for 20 hrs before you buy one and get to know all the warts after the honeymoon wears off. They have all the disadvantages of a high wing and a low wing combined lol.

The only con is you can't lie to yourself about how much money and time you are going to save zooming around the world in your little plane.:lol:
Get one and have fun.

Understand you'll be maintaining a museum piece. :)

We're all maintaining museum pieces, some of us just are in denial.

I flew one with the Continental W-670. The owner said it was surprising just how little maintenance it required, and said it was overall a pretty reliable aircraft. It is very simple.

I found flying it to be extremely fun. It is about low and slow flying. So long as you understand that, you'll probably be happy.

Back