Advice wanted for summer trip to Montauk and Niagara Falls

jasstech

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jasstech
We are planning a trip this summer from KOWX to KMTP to KIAG and back to KOWX.

We are thinking of taking off early and trying to get to Montauk around lunch time. I'm not familiar with Pennsylvania though. Should we expect fog in the morning during the summer in Pennsylvania?

Should we plan on leaving later to avoid fog and maybe find something to do in Pennsylvania before heading to Montauk the next day?

Also if anyone has tips for fuel stops in Pennsylvania, flying the Hudson corridor, or flying over the falls I'd appreciate that as well.

The weather in PA is pretty similar to Ohio. The weather on any given morning in PA in the summertime could really be anything. Fog is more an issue in fall and spring rather than summer. It is certainly possible that you can encounter fog on a summer morning, but it is more likely that you won't. If you leave too late, you might just have to deal with thunderstorms instead.

It can be very hazy though in the summer, and unlike fog haze can and often does stick around for multi-day periods. Flying east early in the morning means you'll be flying into the sun which will worsen the effects of haze if it is present. The same problem will occur if you try to fly home in the early evening.

If it were me I would go ahead and plan the trip assuming the weather will be fine in the morning and just keep an eye on the forecasts and conditions in the days leading up to the trip.

Where I am in Ohio it is flat. So I wasn't sure if Pennsylvania being more hilly would make fog more likely. It seems like every time I plan a trip to Kentucky we have to end up waiting for the fog to lift so I was wondering if Pennsylvania would be similar. We'll definitely be watching weather and are building in flexibility to the schedule.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Be sure to study the procedure for a flight around the falls. Something nice to do either before landing at IAG, or on the departure headed home.

File IFR for IAG and they will take you right over the falls. Montauk is a fun an easy airport,good for a day trip.it is a private airport with landing fees. Not a great overnight unless your a sports fisherman.

We did this trip a few years ago. It's second only to the Key West trip. Sandusky to Niagara Falls at 1500 feet along the edge of the water. ATC crossed right over Buffalo. They talked us all the way to the falls and kept us away from the restricted area. Great views. Lots of fun. Make room in the plane to bring home some wine. There's some great vineyards up there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've flown from Ohio thru PA on my way to Mass. & back several times. Each time I fly in the Fall there is fog in the morning. I've diverted from my usual fuel stop at KLHV and landed short at Jimmy Stewart (ATC: "Uh yeah, VFR? You're not going to Lockhaven"). Because of the hills, the fog may be sitting down in there, while above it is plenty clear. Just be sure to check ahead and keep your options open for fuel stops.

Last time coming home from Mass, we stopped overnight due to WX at Elmira, NY KELM just south of Watkins Glen & Seneca Lake. There is a fantastic gorge you can hike for free at the very southern tip of the lake. Lot's of steps as you're going uphill the entire time. Highly recommend it - as long as there aren't any races in town at the time (so I've heard).

Also, don't be afraid to go into Penn State, KUNV as a fuel or overnight stop. Easy Class D and the FBO will treat you right. I used them one evening on my way back to Ohio and they gave me a van ride to the hotel where there were restaurants within easy walking distance. After a long and stressful couple of days, finding UNV was a welcome relief.

We are planning a trip this summer from KOWX to KMTP to KIAG and back to KOWX.

We are thinking of taking off early and trying to get to Montauk around lunch time. I'm not familiar with Pennsylvania though. Should we expect fog in the morning during the summer in Pennsylvania?

Should we plan on leaving later to avoid fog and maybe find something to do in Pennsylvania before heading to Montauk the next day?

Also if anyone has tips for fuel stops in Pennsylvania, flying the Hudson corridor, or flying over the falls I'd appreciate that as well.

I typically fly out of KVNW. Nice to see another NW Ohio aviator on the forum.

Also, don't be afraid to go into Penn State, KUNV as a fuel or overnight stop. Easy Class D and the FBO will treat you right. I used them one evening on my way back to Ohio and they gave me a van ride to the hotel where there were restaurants within easy walking distance. After a long and stressful couple of days, finding UNV was a welcome relief.
Thanks for all the advice and fuel stop ideas. I'll check them out while planning. We will definitely be flexible. My wife and I are both pilots so we keep each other in check.

I typically fly out of KVNW. Nice to see another NW Ohio aviator on the forum.
We used to be based at KVNW, but we could get a much better hangar at KOWX for nearly the same price so we had to move.

Randy told us about your trips. Have any more planned?

They treated you ok, even though you were from Columbus, Ohio. There must be a god! LOL

Make room in the plane to bring home some wine. There's some great vineyards up there.

I've been meaning to head up to 0G7 for that reason.

Back