Advice on training

Cthomase

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cthomase
All,

I'm looking to dive into flight training with the ultimate goal of getting my ATP-Helicopter rating. Here's my situation, I'd really value some advice from those who know...

I'm a 9 year Navy vet with zero previous flight training but think it's time I start training, sort of now or never. It's always been something I've wanted but life took a different path. I've finished my undergrad and from everything I've seen and heard so far is that I could 1) get an associates and use the rest of my VA benefits or 2) use my benefits for vocational training. Neither of which would cover my PPL. I think I've found a school, Veracity Aviation, anyone have anything to say on them?

So really I could use advice on a couple of fronts:
What's the best and most cost effective way to get my ATP rating? Taking that into account, what's the fastest way to make that happen? Does anyone have experience either one way or the other when it comes to VA benefits? I'm not keen on getting my associates when I've already finished my bachelors, but the program I'm looking at is accelerated, seems to get me where I want with my flight goals and lets me use the "perks" of my VA benefits (housing allowance, books, etc). Also, does anyone have any reviews of Veracity? Or have anything to say on other schools in the San Antonio area? Looking specifically for helicopter training.

Thanks!

To confirm a nugget of information, you wish to focus your career on helicopter and not fixed wing?

One thing that can be done now is to make sure you are good to go for your medical.

Take a look at the FAA 8500-8 form and see if any of the conditions listed in question 18 apply to you. Do note the preamble of marking "YES" if you have or had any of the conditions at ANY TIME in your life. If any do apply, they are not show stoppers, but will require additional attention and documentation before you officially apply for the medical. Not getting the additional attention or documentation will cause delays and potential increased costs ($$$).

The other ones to be honest about are past run ins with law enforcement, especially alcohol or controlled substance abuse related, and any past diagnosis of Attention Deficit Disorder. Again, not complete show stoppers, but items that must be dealt with properly to avoid delays or denials.

If any of these items are a YES for you, then we advise visiting with the right (aka not random) AME for the situation and doing a CONSULTATION. This is not a live exam, but a review of your situation to obtain the AME's opinion on can you pass the exam and what (if any) additional reports and documentation you need to bring to the exam. The objective is learn how to own your flight medical and go into the live exam known that you have all that is required and that you will pass on the first go.

The consultation can be done for reasonable out of pocket costs (likely just the cost of the office visit which is less than $150 or so).

Probably not the answer you want, but you could rejoin but Army and get your training there.

I am not familiar with the company you listed, but please be sure to check them out before you sign up. I have personally seen vets drastically cheated out of their benefits, especially with helo training.

Back