Advice on Studying for PPL

SUNSHINE

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sunshine
Hello!!!

First off, I'm new here. :)

Second, I need some advice on studying for the PPL (mainly for the oral exam).

I started my flight training in February of 2013. I pay out of pocket and usually fly when I have the money, which is one reason why it's taking me so long to finish. Another thing is I'm at my third flight school (which I'm happy at) and going on with my sixth instructor (hopefully he sticks around until I get done with all the training). :sad:
My written exam expired September of 2015 so I have to retake it. What I really struggle with is studying. I'm not able to sit for a while and read, read, read. I get bored and distracted easily. Not much of what I read sticks in my mind. I have no problem with the flying part. That's easy.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to get through the books?

I'm a hands-on and visual learner so I've decided to purchase some training videos which might help a bit. Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Books?

Just get the King videos

Towards the end of your training you'll do mock check rides with your CFI

Done and done

I used the sportys videos and their online study tool for the written.

What I really struggle with is studying. I'm not able to sit for a while and read, read, read. I get bored and distracted easily. Not much of what I read sticks in my mind.
Hmmmmm. I hope the medical is done and nothing surprising to be found in past history during a QA review. That statement could make one wonder about a disqualifying diagnosis.

Anyhow, everyone learns differently. If you do better retaining information from videos, then the Sprotys, King, or ASA videos might fit the bill.

For the checkride, do several mock opals with different CFI's and you should be well prepared.

Hmmmmm. I hope the medical is done and nothing surprising to be found in past history during a QA review. That statement could make one wonder about a disqualifying diagnosis.

Anyhow, everyone learns differently. If you do better retaining information from videos, then the Sprotys, King, or ASA videos might fit the bill.

For the checkride, do several mock opals with different CFI's and you should be well prepared.

I went for the 1st class medical just to see if I'm able to pass it and I did with no problems. My health is perfectly fine. :) I'm just a hands-on and visual learner. Thanks for the post, I'll check those out.

Thank you guys! I'll check out those videos. :)

The oral exam study guide from sportys is what I used and it covered everything. I did well on the oral exam with that and the king videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The oral exam study guide from sportys is what I used and it covered everything. I did well on the oral exam with that and the king videos.

Glad you did well on your oral exam. :)
I've tried reading through that book but got bored. I was thinking of taking the questions on there and turning them into flash cards, though it will take a while to make one for all the questions. Might be worth the try.

I can't get through the Sportys videos. Too dry for me. I always fall asleep when they talk weather. Books put me to sleep too. What I found worked for me is the Private Pilot course from Jason Schappert. You may have heard of him, MZeroA.com is the website. They have an online ground school that covers everything. Loaded with videos, online testing and a lot of downloads you can keep. I got a 92 on my written and am heading to my check ride next week. I feel very confident.

He has a lot of free stuff on Youtube you can watch to get a feel for his style.

Good luck with yours!

I used the asa oral exam prep book as well as the Sportys study app and videos and thought they all did a good job in preparing for the exam. Like was mentioned in above posts there are many good YouTube videos (I don't like Jason Schappert but there are others) as well as flashcard sets on quizlet and other sites that are helpful for memory items like vfr weather mins, v speeds, light gun signals and the like.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Go with another CFI and have him give you a mock check ride. If you haven't already, take a look at the PTS. Everything in the PTS is fair game and there shouldn't be any surprises.

Since you're looking, check out Gold Seal. This course has NUMEROUS features you won't get from ANY of the aforementioned subjects. And don't take my word for it. Sign up and get a THOROUGH test drive of the real course for free.
www.OnlineGroundSchool.com

There is nothing that will prep you better for the practical test oral exam than a few prep sessions with a mentor or instructor that is familiar with the examiners style.

Although it will follow the PTS, each DPE has his/her own way of approaching it.

One thing that helped me was repetition. Some concepts I had difficulty memorizing and the only thing that solved it was going through them over and over(example - cloud clearance requirements in different airspaces). Knowing things like that down pat will help with the oral exam, fumbling around for an answer gets the DPE suspicious.

Also as said - mock exams with an instructor help prepare you quite well.

Hello!!!

First off, I'm new here. :)

Second, I need some advice on studying for the PPL (mainly for the oral exam).

I started my flight training in February of 2013. I pay out of pocket and usually fly when I have the money, which is one reason why it's taking me so long to finish. Another thing is I'm at my third flight school (which I'm happy at) and going on with my sixth instructor (hopefully he sticks around until I get done with all the training). :sad:
My written exam expired September of 2015 so I have to retake it. What I really struggle with is studying. I'm not able to sit for a while and read, read, read. I get bored and distracted easily. Not much of what I read sticks in my mind. I have no problem with the flying part. That's easy.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to get through the books?

I'm a hands-on and visual learner so I've decided to purchase some training videos which might help a bit. Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sunshine

what I am about to explain has nothing to do with aviation itself (alhtough I took and passed the PPL written on Dec 23 15"), its more about concentration and how to best study

from the topic of Braingym( a collection of physiological exercises designed to kickstart one's neurology)you should cross crawl before you study

this is cross crawling (ignore the music in the background on this video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seic4ZRxtmw

and then there is interleaving.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-you-thought-you-knew-about-learning-is-wrong

if you do both Cross crawling and interleaving, you be much less bored and distracted.

hope that helps

Back