Advice on preparing for 2nd/1st class w/vertigo spell seven years ago

jimmyz80

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jimmyz80
Long time lurker, first time poster. :) I've read a bunch of similar posts on here about vertigo and medicals, but none with quite the same set of circumstances. So I'm hoping there may be some available wisdom relevant to my particular situation.

I'm mid 40s and have had a 3rd class medical in the past, but had a few things creep up in 2016 that steered me toward BasicMed just to keep things simpler. Now I'm seriously pursuing a career change into aviation, and want to take my best shot at getting paperwork in order to allow for a first class medical (since I'd like proof that working towards ATP/121/135 isn't fruitless).

In 2016 I had a spell where I woke up with fullness and hearing loss in one ear, and eventually some positional dizziness issues where I'd get dizzy when moving my head quickly. My original ENT back then (since retired) shrugged it off and told me to just take nasonex and allegra daily to improve/prevent it. I lost my mother to a brain tumor, so nervous me pursued this more deeply with my PCP and asked for referrals to another ENT, neurologist, and a brain MRI. The results of these are summarized below, and the dizziness issue has never reoccured. Occasionally I'll have some ear fullness but it resolves without issue.

ENT: The new ENT and several since then haven't come to any definitive diagnosis, including one of the otolaryngology directors/faculty from UC Davis Health. Audiology report only showed bilateral hearing loss that was as expected for age related hearing loss. Pretty unremarkable.

MRI: Totally clear

Neurologist: Ordered VNG testing which came back negative for BPPV and pretty much normal except for "25% Reduced Vestibular Response in the right ear on caloric tests indicates impairment of the right peripheral vestibular pathway" and goes on to say that up to 20% is normal. So just a bit outside of a normal result for the VNG. They had me do some vestibular physical therapy sessions which were honestly kinda fun, but I don't think helped any more than the normal progression of time has.

This was all way back in 2016/2017 so I know the records are pretty much useless. I'm curious as to whether this is something where I'll only need to get an ENT to write a new status report stating that the long-ago dizziness issue was likely virally induced or something concrete like that? Or am I going to need to go down a rabbit hole with another VNG test, neurologists, etc.?

Lastly, I do have a consultation scheduled with a local AME (prior to filling out any FAA forms) to get his opinion on all of this as well. I'm hoping there's a way to shape this up such that he can issue directly without deferring to the FAA, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Thanks a ton for any advice from others who have been through this, or medical professionals who know how the FAA/AMEs handle this sort of situation.

Contact Dr Bruce, he's listed in other messages on this forum. Are you still having issues without taking meds? Getting a consult is a good idea. I've never had vertigo, military flyer, but I had one AME years ago put me through a lot of different bending positions and motions. I think I was turning 60 that year. I didn't get dizzy and it puzzled him. :)

What does your audiogram look like?
How long have you been without symptoms?
Thanks for chiming in Bruce. This is the latest from a few months ago, briefly after I had one ear get a little muffled. I’ve had zero vertigo symptoms for about seven years, and only an occasional “full/muffled” feeling ear once every few years that resolves on its own or with OTC meds.

IMG_0190.jpeg

Last edited:
Get a Letter from you PCP saying in what year this occurred, that you have had no dizzies for 7 Years. “Viral vestibular is proven stable.

This is issuable in the office, with said documentation. Likely, You had a viral vestibulitus. You have some damage and FAA makes you stay down for a year or until one of the vestibules goes to zero so it has no output to upset the gyros…..but if you have “seven years no dizzies” and pass the 6 foot voice check, I’d issue and defend the issuance.

Thanks a ton Bruce! Hopefully the AME I’m getting a consultation with will share the same feelings, and hopefully my PCP is willing to chalk it up to viral vestibulitis without any concrete evidence.

Back