Advice on Niagra Falls and New England (MA, CT, MD)

aranpura

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ash
Dear all,

I'm contemplating a week-long holiday with stops to see a few friends and re-visit old haunts in New England. I'd like some advice about where to land, accommodations, and some beautiful places to visit that also have easy access to airports.

We're setting out from Toledo, Ohio (KTDZ). We'll likely start by visiting a friend in London, Ontario (CYXU), then on around to Niagra Falls (KIAG). We'll spend the night there, then head to New Haven, CT (KHVN) to visit Yale (my alma mater). We'll stay in New Haven, then do a day trip or two to Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, or Nantucket depending on your advice.

From New Haven, we'll probably spend a night with a friend in Baltimore (probably KFDK), then visit Fallingwater (KVVS) on the way back to Toledo.

This will be my first multi-day trip, so all kinds of advice is welcome. I could really use some insider info on good airfields, FBOs, and accomodations (we're open to camping too). We're taking a little PA-28-161, so I'm not going be setting any speed records!

Thanks,

-Ash.

Personally, I've always felt that Block Island was over-rated. MVY/ACK are probably a bit nicer if you want to go offshore, but at both MVY and ACK you are likely to be dealing with the locals and their attitudes toward tourists. An unfortunate, not-uncommon New England phenomenon, but tends to be worse on those two islands.

One stop you might want to consider is Newport, RI (UUU). Nice little airport and generally pretty reasonable fuel prices for the area. Some great restaurants and both hotels and B&Bs on Aquidneck Island.

Here's my take. From New Haven BID is closest and if your not staying over you can probably get away without breaking the bank. BUT FWIW my favorite is Martha's vineyard KMVY or Katama. for Baltimore why don't you do MTN?

Dont' discount that warrior its a great plane!!

Did you mean ME rather than MD? Because Maryland is nowhere near Niagara Falls (unless your perspective is from, say, Hawaii). ;)

I did mean MD, actually, for the Baltimore bit. Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions so far! I really hope the weather cooperates with us. Looks like a hurricane blowing through here as I type this.

-Ash.

I found that the Canadian AF/D has much better directions for flying around Niagra Falls than the US AF/D. Be sure to follow it. I worked with Approach coming up from Jamestown NY towards Buffalo, they turned me over to the self advisory frequency but let me keep my discret code, then picked us up again SE bound for Elmira NY.

Attachments

• Niagara Falls 14cfr93.69.pdf
    40.5 KB · Views: 12
  • NiagaraFalls flight diagram.pdf
    348.6 KB · Views: 11
Landing at PHL is a fun experience. We did this a few years ago in a rented 172 VFR :goofy:To their credit, ATC was awesome. There wasn't the tiniest bit of delay even though we landed at 6pm. I still remember this exchange:

"Fedex 123, follow the Cessna in front of you, taxi runway 27R"
...a little bit later...after looking out back and seeing one of those big freight Fedex jets right behind us....

"Umm, ground, Fedex 123, there's a small plane crowding the taxiway"
"No he's not, I put him there!"
"Can we go around him?"
In a stern voice: "No!"

Also, the FBO there (Atlantic, I believe?) is quite good. We went for the evening and took the crew car for some cheesesteaks in downtown Philadelphia. $10 fee at the time, I believe, but well worth it. Good experience flying VFR into the primary class B airport, too.

-Felix

Last edited:
If you're talking Baltimore City, then MTN is good. BWI is good too (flew out of that airport for 5 years), but there are fees, fees fees. Where in Baltimore?

I've never been, but Montauk seems to be a local favorite, and even closer than BID (which is why I've never been - gotta build up those cross-country hours). Also, you may want to give some thought to flying the Hudson river corridor.

Be sure to try the Katana Cafe at CYXU. Check out the carbon fiber bar.
PM me if you need local info.

BillTIZ, thanks for those Niagra diagrams! And Snowbird, the bar up in London sounds like a perfect stopover.

The suggestions of KMTN for the Baltimore bit sound great. Our friends live downtown, in the city itself, so the closer in the better. BWI would be nice, but it's just not worth the costs to land and stay overnight.

From New Haven, I have been to Montauk before (around 1997!) and really enjoyed it. We may go back there, though I'm tempted to go someplace I haven't been before. Back in the day I flew the Hudson corridor lots. I'm definitely going to include that on this trip -- I have a few questions about it that are probably worth another thread.

Anyone have any thoughts about good airports in the Catskills (enroute from Niagra Falls to HVN) or in central Pennsylvania (enroute from MTN to TDZ)?

-Ash.

Back