Advice on GI Bill for flight training

Bearhawk'r

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bearhawk'r
Has anyone here used their GI Bill for flight training? I'd like to continue getting ratings and building hours to fly as a second career. But I've already got 300 hours...does anyone think using it to get training in rotor wing would be beneficial? I already know it would be fun. I think I'd have to be in some type of part 141 program which I assume would preclude me from signing up for multiengine courses, upset recovery courses, etc..

Let me know if anyone has advice on this subject. It's harder to transfer to my daughter without incurring more commitment which I can't do at this stage of life currently.

Thanks

Found this:

“After successfully obtaining your Private Pilot’s License with your own funding, the GI Bill benefits will then pay for approximately 60-100%% of all the training costs (depending on what you qualify for) for any advanced pilot ratings (e.g. Instrument Rating, Commercial Pilot’s License, etc.) at a VA and FAA Approved Part 141 flight training facility. Benefits do not normally cover medical certificates, books, test fees, or housing expenses incurred during your training.

If you would like to become a Professional Pilot, the total cost of flight training will be between $35,000 and $85,000, depending on the courses you choose. With the GI Bill benefits the total cost of training (after you have paid for your Private Pilot License) will be reduced by the amount you qualify for (60-100%).”

Advanced pilot ratings...sounds like that includes multi engine to me. And yes, part 141 seems to be required as well. Didn’t know they don’t pay for PPL till I read this.

The GI Bill will pay for the PPL if you are enrolled in a college program such that flight training fees are considered lab fees.

It seems like there is a GI Bill thread every week lately. There may be good information in other recent threads.

I understand things may have changed since I last used my GI Bill for training but much of what I see posted is more in line with the Montgomery GI Bill and not the Post 9/11 GI Bill. You must first determine what one you have before knowing the benefit. Now, when I enlisted it was under the Montgomery and they wouldn't pay for your PPL and, I may be wrong, I don't believe they would cover much before Commercial because that is when it became a new career and not a hobby. When I converted to the Post 9/11 there was no limitation on what training they would pay for. The only limit was based on how you were receiving your training. A regular 141 school had a yearly cap of something like $10,500 while a college program didn't have the same cap and you received BAH if you weren't already.

I haven't used this benefit since 2015 and am now retired so YMMV.

I used GI Bill for my CFI, intend to use it for CFII and MEI using the testing reimbursement, and then hope to do rotary as well.

Back