Advice for Anchorage bush training?

pemora

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dactylion
Advice for Anchorage bush pilot or seaplane training?

I have time in Anchorage on 6-7 Sept 2014 to do some bush pilot training. I already have a tail wheel endorsement. I may want one day bush pilot training and one day seaplane training.

Any recommendations for schools or instructors? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a friend there who's a retired Japanese fighter pilot who relocates to Anchorage to Bush fly during the summer. I can PM you his contact info if nothing else turns up.

Define "bush flying"

Bush-one.jpg

Haha clever Jim. I forgot he was a pilot.

I highly recommend Don Lee and Alaska Floats and Skis. He is up the road in Talkeetna but well worth the drive up. I took his Bush Pilot class and it was awesome. I got to land on some incredible backwoods strips, land on a gravel bar in the middle of a river and fly my wife up over glaciers in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I also flew one of his float planes with an awesome instructor. Don was featured on the Alaska Wingmen TV show. He has many, many thousands of hours of flying experience in Alaska. I learned a ton. I am including a link to a video I made of my experience up there and a link to Don's school.

http://www.alaskafloats.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l1-o_sBcfg

Carl

Jeff Skiles (miracle on the Hudson) took the Don Lee course and wrote about his experience in the December 2013 issue of EAA's Sport Aviation magazine. He gave a ringing endorsement of the training he received as well. I don't know if they offer a 1 day training opportunity or not.

I suggest contacting Don at his contact info on that web site link posted previously. I know when he and I were talking he mentioned an hourly rate for training and I know I have read of people who had just one day up there with him. I am sure he will work with you. He runs a first rate operation and his cabin we stayed in is just awesome. You can literally walk like 5 minutes down the hill to his seaplane base, or hop in his pickup for a 10 minute ride to the airport where the taildragger is parked.

Carl

Back