Advice for an aspiring pilot is appreciated!

AspiringAviator3

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AspiringAviator3
Hello all,

My name is Austin, I'm 26 years old and live in North Carolina. I have been in public safety since I was 18. After high school I immediately began work as a firefighter/EMT and after doing so for two years I began a career in law enforcement. I have been in law enforcement for almost 6 years now and currently work as a detective-sergeant investing gating major crimes with collateral on the tactical team. I also still work part-time and volunteer as a firefighter and EMT. I have always had an interest in aviation from a young age. I was a cadet member of the Civil Air Patrol for period of time as a teenager and moved through the cadet ranks by studying and taking tests on aviation topics and participating in educational flight opportunities. I have also obtained my associates degree in public safety administration. After six years working in traditional law enforcement I have decided to attempt to pursue another dream I've had for a long time and become a pilot. Ultimately, I just want to fly. However, I would prefer to make a career of it as opposed to obtaining just my private pilot's license and flying recreationally. Additionally, I would prefer to continue a career in public safety as well as being a pilot, whether it be law enforcement, wildfire attack, or air medical. I have researched different methods of obtaining my commercial license and the necessary prerequisites rapidly, however I can find no conclusive answer. One common rapid route available in my area is to attend ATP flight school with the assistance of a student loan. ATP advertises that in just 7 months one can obtain their commercial license with CFI and begin instructing for ATP to build flight hours needed to apply for a regional airline. However, I have been told by those who have recently attended the program it takes closer to 1 year as opposed to 7 months and often time costs exceed those that are budgeted for when applying for a student loan. This could cause issues for me as I do have a family I must provide for. It also appears most prudent to seek employment with an airline following this path in order to be more comfortable when repaying the six-figure student loan required. While I am not against flying as a commercial pilot I would certainly prefer working within the public safety aviation realm as I previously stated.

Ultimately, I am looking for advice from experienced members of the aviation community on what you all believe would be the best or a good course of action for me to obtain the needed training in a reasonable amount of time and in a manner which I could either continue to work while training or train quick enough to use student loans to cover my bills while in school. Additionally, if anyone has suggestions on entry level pilot jobs after obtaining certain ratings which pay a reasonable amount and provide the opportunity to gather enough flight hours to apply for jobs within public safety. One readily available law enforcement pilot job through Custom's and Border Protection known as an Air Interdiction Agent requires a commercial license with instrument rating and 750 hours to apply with 1,000 obtained before the completion of the hiring process. I assume that would be rather standard if not on the lower end of requirements. I also know that many public safety aviation jobs are within the rotorwing realm which I am not opposed to, however it certainly seems like a more lengthy and expensive process to obtain helicopter training which may by hard for me to swing while also trying to keep bills paid for my family.

I hope this post finds you all well, and as stated in the topic any advice will be appreciated!

Don’t go into to debt for flight training. Or college, for that matter.

The pilot mills well be a full time gig and run close to $100K from zero to hero. As for timeline, I’d expect six months to be the outlier; unless or until your instrument rating is done, VMC is likely going to be a limitation, and most of the CSEL is VMC training.

ETA: Look for a flying club or partnership.

My advise is to purchase or join a flight club and get your ratings. The knowledge learned from partners and the pilots you meet along the way will give you the best advice for your area.

Advice:

Before you do anything toward training, be sure you can obtain your medical. Spend a while purusing the POA medical subforum. Many seemingly minor things in your past, like an ADHD diagnosis, can become a problem for you. If there's anything at all that looks like it might become sticky, have a consultation (NOT a for-the-record exam) with an aviation medical examiner and see what it will take to get your medical certificate.

Hello all,

My name is Austin, I'm 26 years old and live in North Carolina. I have been in public safety since I was 18. After high school I immediately began work as a firefighter/EMT and after doing so for two years I began a career in law enforcement. I have been in law enforcement for almost 6 years now and currently work as a detective-sergeant investing gating major crimes with collateral on the tactical team. I also still work part-time and volunteer as a firefighter and EMT. I have always had an interest in aviation from a young age. I was a cadet member of the Civil Air Patrol for period of time as a teenager and moved through the cadet ranks by studying and taking tests on aviation topics and participating in educational flight opportunities. I have also obtained my associates degree in public safety administration. After six years working in traditional law enforcement I have decided to attempt to pursue another dream I've had for a long time and become a pilot. Ultimately, I just want to fly. However, I would prefer to make a career of it as opposed to obtaining just my private pilot's license and flying recreationally. Additionally, I would prefer to continue a career in public safety as well as being a pilot, whether it be law enforcement, wildfire attack, or air medical. I have researched different methods of obtaining my commercial license and the necessary prerequisites rapidly, however I can find no conclusive answer. One common rapid route available in my area is to attend ATP flight school with the assistance of a student loan. ATP advertises that in just 7 months one can obtain their commercial license with CFI and begin instructing for ATP to build flight hours needed to apply for a regional airline. However, I have been told by those who have recently attended the program it takes closer to 1 year as opposed to 7 months and often time costs exceed those that are budgeted for when applying for a student loan. This could cause issues for me as I do have a family I must provide for. It also appears most prudent to seek employment with an airline following this path in order to be more comfortable when repaying the six-figure student loan required. While I am not against flying as a commercial pilot I would certainly prefer working within the public safety aviation realm as I previously stated.

Ultimately, I am looking for advice from experienced members of the aviation community on what you all believe would be the best or a good course of action for me to obtain the needed training in a reasonable amount of time and in a manner which I could either continue to work while training or train quick enough to use student loans to cover my bills while in school. Additionally, if anyone has suggestions on entry level pilot jobs after obtaining certain ratings which pay a reasonable amount and provide the opportunity to gather enough flight hours to apply for jobs within public safety. One readily available law enforcement pilot job through Custom's and Border Protection known as an Air Interdiction Agent requires a commercial license with instrument rating and 750 hours to apply with 1,000 obtained before the completion of the hiring process. I assume that would be rather standard if not on the lower end of requirements. I also know that many public safety aviation jobs are within the rotorwing realm which I am not opposed to, however it certainly seems like a more lengthy and expensive process to obtain helicopter training which may by hard for me to swing while also trying to keep bills paid for my family.

I hope this post finds you all well, and as stated in the topic any advice will be appreciated!

It is certainly possible to fly 250 hrs in 7 months (which works out to 1.2 hr/day), but in practice you need time to read, think and discuss. The rates quoted at most of these places are for the absolute minimum. Unless you are naturally gifted, you will need more time (and money). I think the best option is to join a club or buy a cheap airplane. I'd say 2 years to go from zero to CFI might be a reasonable goal. You can keep your day job, and spend evenings and weekends flying. That may still be tough on your family timewise, but at least it will be easier on the finances. While you are doing all this, you can network with your law enforcement buddies to see what career options there are. I knew a guy at my home field who flew helicopters for the state police, and his job was to look for marijuana fields. I suspect the demand for marijuana hunters isn't that great nowadays.

Advice:

Before you do anything toward training, be sure you can obtain your medical.
This can't be emphasized enough. Get familiar with the MedXpress application form, realize that when they ask, "Have you EVER ..." they mean exactly that, and ANY past medical history dealing particularly with mental health, substance abuse, driving while impaired, etc. are likely to place a big obstacle in your way, and if you fail to disclose it you run the risk of spending large sums of money as well as considerable time and effort pursuing a dream that might not be realistic.

You can't talk your way out of a prior medical situation. You have to prove it with adequate documentation.

Don’t go into to debt for flight training. Or college, for that matter.

The pilot mills well be a full time gig and run close to $100K from zero to hero. As for timeline, I’d expect six months to be the outlier; unless or until your instrument rating is done, VMC is likely going to be a limitation, and most of the CSEL is VMC training.

ETA: Look for a flying club or partnership.
Thank you! I’ve started looking into clubs around me and fortunately there are plenty. I was unaware of their benefits until now.

My advise is to purchase or join a flight club and get your ratings. The knowledge learned from partners and the pilots you meet along the way will give you the best advice for your area.
Defiantly looking into flying clubs in my area now, thank you!

Advice:

Before you do anything toward training, be sure you can obtain your medical. Spend a while purusing the POA medical subforum. Many seemingly minor things in your past, like an ADHD diagnosis, can become a problem for you. If there's anything at all that looks like it might become sticky, have a consultation (NOT a for-the-record exam) with an aviation medical examiner and see what it will take to get your medical certificate.
Appreciate the clarification and details on the medical. That is something a lot of flight instruction business do not talk about in their advertisement info.

It is certainly possible to fly 250 hrs in 7 months (which works out to 1.2 hr/day), but in practice you need time to read, think and discuss. The rates quoted at most of these places are for the absolute minimum. Unless you are naturally gifted, you will need more time (and money). I think the best option is to join a club or buy a cheap airplane. I'd say 2 years to go from zero to CFI might be a reasonable goal. You can keep your day job, and spend evenings and weekends flying. That may still be tough on your family timewise, but at least it will be easier on the finances. While you are doing all this, you can network with your law enforcement buddies to see what career options there are. I knew a guy at my home field who flew helicopters for the state police, and his job was to look for marijuana fields. I suspect the demand for marijuana hunters isn't that great nowadays.
Excellent advice, based on what you said I’ve done some more tailored research. I believe learning to fly “part-time” will be much more realistic for me. The two year CFI goal also gives me relief as it just immediately seems more doable. Thanks!

This can't be emphasized enough. Get familiar with the MedXpress application form, realize that when they ask, "Have you EVER ..." they mean exactly that, and ANY past medical history dealing particularly with mental health, substance abuse, driving while impaired, etc. are likely to place a big obstacle in your way, and if you fail to disclose it you run the risk of spending large sums of money as well as considerable time and effort pursuing a dream that might not be realistic.

You can't talk your way out of a prior medical situation. You have to prove it with adequate documentation.
When should I get a MedXPress account and seek an exam from an AME? Say if I planned to start my private pilot course in December/January should I get the medical completed now or wait a bit longer?

For your medical, do you have any medical issues, sugar, eyesight, abuse, ADHD, hospitalization, medication, DUI’s? These can cause problems, once you have a denial on your record then you will lose a lot of time and money trying to fix it, if you can.

If you are clean on the above then go ahead and apply for a first class medical to make sure you are good to go career wise. That first class will allow you to use third class privileges for 5 years since you are under 40 at the time of exam.

I would not do ATP, you have to move at their pace, it’s expensive and time consuming. Not sure how you would do that and keep your current job. I’d join a flying club and start taking lessons, you can do this right now, log your hours and those stay with you. You’ll move at your own pace and pay as you go. I’d also look at perhaps getting a 2 seater airplane for time building, these are cheap to run.

When should I get a MedXPress account and seek an exam from an AME? Say if I planned to start my private pilot course in December/January should I get the medical completed now or wait a bit longer?
Once you submit information on MedXpress and a physician views it, the FAA has access to it. Any mistakes you've made on it in representation of your medical history or condition can't be retracted. If any of them even suggest a problem of concern to the FAA the burden is on you to prove that you don't have the problem that they determined you have, and that can be very costly and very time-consuming (e.g. years in some cases).

So the best advice is to evaluate your status outside of the FAA system until you are sure you won't have a problem getting the medical certification. All of your projections about time and cost of moving through training go out the window if there is an unresolved medical issue in the eyes of the FAA.

@AspiringAviator3

First, welcome to PoA and to the aviation world.
Second, allow me to expand a bit on the medical advice, as a lot of people get in trouble here.

There are two way to talk to an AME about your medical. The first is the standard MedXpress then go for an appointment. However, this can be a problem. If there is ANYTHING that is a concern it can cost you lots of money and time. Once the AME submits your application the ball is in play. Peruse our Medical forum for some gotchas that have messed with some other aspiring pilots.

A better option, is to schedule a consult with an AME. No MedXpress information needed. This would be the same as the other medical exam, but no application submitted at this time, so no worries about the FAA putting you into limbo for an indefinite time. Assuming everything comes back clear, as it should, you can then do the full MedExpress and exam with no concerns.

If there are concerns from the consult you can either address them and come back later, or you can say it is more than I want to deal with, but you can still pursue a Sport Pilot rating. If you get deferred you may lose that ability.

I would also aim to get your medical as close to when you plan to start your training as possible. No need to have the clock ticking on your medical if you're not using it.

To meet your public service aspirations, fixed wing law enforcement jobs seem best. Check your current department for jobs, basically bear in the air.

My guess is you’ll be most competitive as a transfer rather than quitting and reapplying.

Start looking for career change grants, loans and scholarships. Think AOPA, 99s, Gay Pilots Association, Black Pilots Association, etc. You’re eligible for ANY of them. There are likely law enforcement related programs.

Get your medical and start through the ratings. There is NO “program” that speeds it up. In practice they contain restrictions that will MANDATE going slower than if you AREN’T in their program.

You are clearly goal oriented, you stand a better chance on your own than letting “them” try to manage it for you.

Lastly, do you know how to eat an elephant? You guessed it, one bite at a time. I believe your odds are good!

Tools

Pretty common inquiry from cops/public safety types. I'd get that public safety pension if I were you (whether you dabble on aviation within it or not), then go play airline pilot, especially with a family financial overhead hanging on your neck. PM me for more details and a candid take, not getting into it with the same ol same ol. It's an old tired topic, it's just new to you. Good luck.

I would start looking around the country for departments that might teach you to fly.

IIRC, Maryland State Police did that for many years. You were a officer first, then applied to the flight program, and they assigned you to learning to fly. You did incur some either service or payment conditions if you did not do it long enough.

Another path is look at US Army for helicopter flying. Go through their program and fly for them for a while. If, at the end of your committment, you want to go back into LE, you have your current experience, plus helicopter ratings and a BUNCH of hours. AFAIK, Army does not require Bachelor's degree. The Navy and Air Force do required the 4 year degree.

@AspiringAviator3

First, welcome to PoA and to the aviation world.
Second, allow me to expand a bit on the medical advice, as a lot of people get in trouble here.

There are two way to talk to an AME about your medical. The first is the standard MedXpress then go for an appointment. However, this can be a problem. If there is ANYTHING that is a concern it can cost you lots of money and time. Once the AME submits your application the ball is in play. Peruse our Medical forum for some gotchas that have messed with some other aspiring pilots.

A better option, is to schedule a consult with an AME. No MedXpress information needed. This would be the same as the other medical exam, but no application submitted at this time, so no worries about the FAA putting you into limbo for an indefinite time. Assuming everything comes back clear, as it should, you can then do the full MedExpress and exam with no concerns.

If there are concerns from the consult you can either address them and come back later, or you can say it is more than I want to deal with, but you can still pursue a Sport Pilot rating. If you get deferred you may lose that ability.

I would also aim to get your medical as close to when you plan to start your training as possible. No need to have the clock ticking on your medical if you're not using it.
Thanks for this advice! We do have a local AME in my area so I will reach out.

To meet your public service aspirations, fixed wing law enforcement jobs seem best. Check your current department for jobs, basically bear in the air.

My guess is you’ll be most competitive as a transfer rather than quitting and reapplying.

Start looking for career change grants, loans and scholarships. Think AOPA, 99s, Gay Pilots Association, Black Pilots Association, etc. You’re eligible for ANY of them. There are likely law enforcement related programs.

Get your medical and start through the ratings. There is NO “program” that speeds it up. In practice they contain restrictions that will MANDATE going slower than if you AREN’T in their program.

You are clearly goal oriented, you stand a better chance on your own than letting “them” try to manage it for you.

Lastly, do you know how to eat an elephant? You guessed it, one bite at a time. I believe your odds are good!

Tools
Thanks for letting me know about the scholarships. I joined AOPA and submitted my application for their scholarships after reading your response.

I would start looking around the country for departments that might teach you to fly.

IIRC, Maryland State Police did that for many years. You were a officer first, then applied to the flight program, and they assigned you to learning to fly. You did incur some either service or payment conditions if you did not do it long enough.

Another path is look at US Army for helicopter flying. Go through their program and fly for them for a while. If, at the end of your committment, you want to go back into LE, you have your current experience, plus helicopter ratings and a BUNCH of hours. AFAIK, Army does not require Bachelor's degree. The Navy and Air Force do required the 4 year degree.
I’ve spoken to an Army recruiter previously about WOFT. I have a 116 GT score but I have never sat for the SIFT. I considered taking the SIFT after completing my PPL because from my understanding a lot of the SIFT battery of questions is general aviation related.

I was talking to a former Army helicopter pilot, now chief flight instructor at my airport. Check with the Army National Guard. They could send you to helicopter school, and you keep your current job (military leave of absence).

That way you get your helicopter rating and get some quality turbine time. Then start looking for a LE flying job. Adding the fixed wing Commercial and Instrument Airplane will not be difficult and a lot less expensive.

Pretty common inquiry from cops/public safety types. I'd get that public safety pension if I were you (whether you dabble on aviation within it or not), then go play airline pilot, especially with a family financial overhead hanging on your neck. PM me for more details and a candid take, not getting into it with the same ol same ol. It's an old tired topic, it's just new to you. Good luck.
In nc that’s 30 years to get the full retirement. 20 gets a piece of one.

If the OP wants to fly I would recommend go fly.

Keep working on your hours. CBP, DEA, FBI have pilot positions open up, CBP being the biggest fleet pool of pilots, but expect to be on the DE Border for a while.

If you look on USAJOBS.GOV that is where you can find any pilot job in the gov. But they all have similar minimums.

You and about another million people are looking for inexpensive flight training and a source for someone else to pay for it. Good luck.

In nc that’s 30 years to get the full retirement. 20 gets a piece of one.

If the OP wants to fly I would recommend go fly.
Add NC is a typical southern state with police salaries 20% below the national average. Yea, get out of that profession in NC.

The best and fastest way is to work as a fueler at the biggest FBO in the area. It's the best way to meet all the pilots you'll need to know for a flying job. Plus you'll be right there to take lessons every day while making money.

Back