Advice/Assitance Request - Headset Jack

greddawn

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gred
Please pardon any incorrect terminology - I have recently lost 2 nuts that thread to the outer diameter of my 66 Cherokee's headset jacks. I believe they are called mounting nuts, because I don't see any other purpose they could serve. From what I have deduced (by peeking in other planes and dismantling my functional jack) the OD is the same for both the microphone jack and the headphone jack. From my trip to ace hardware with a similar nut, I think I have it sized to 3/8 - 24 fine thread, but I cannot find one that is thin enough to serve as a replacement. My specialty aviation shop did not have one either. Does anyone know where I can find these online, or possibly at a store I can order from? More importantly, did I size these correctly?

I look forward to restoring coms in my back seat so I can remind my passengers to shut up for the 900th time while I am trying to get clearances.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you for the help.

Please pardon any incorrect terminology - I have recently lost 2 nuts that thread to the outer diameter of my 66 Cherokee's headset jacks. I believe they are called mounting nuts, because I don't see any other purpose they could serve. From what I have deduced (by peeking in other planes and dismantling my functional jack) the OD is the same for both the microphone jack and the headphone jack. From my trip to ace hardware with a similar nut, I think I have it sized to 3/8 - 24 fine thread, but I cannot find one that is thin enough to serve as a replacement. My specialty aviation shop did not have one either. Does anyone know where I can find these online, or possibly at a store I can order from? More importantly, did I size these correctly?

I look forward to restoring coms in my back seat so I can remind my passengers to shut up for the 900th time while I am trying to get clearances.
Send me a SASE with enough postage to mail four (4) nuts to you. Two for this replacement and two for the next time it happens. Free (which is the only 4-letter word in the hooker's book).

Check on the loctite.

I actually was able to pull a few off of an old vacuum amp input that has been collecting dust in my garage while kicking myself for not thinking of that, but thank you for the offer!

Gred;
Be sure to use the same washers that were on the mic jack...most audio panels and intercoms need for the mic jack to be isolated from the airframe; if they're mounted in plastic you're good to go but if mounted in metal you'll need the plastic isolation washers.

Just FYI

Chris

P.S. Sounds like you need a "pilot isolate" capable intercom...:rofl:

Back