AdventurePilot iFly Pirep (long)

airdale

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
airdale
After a $100 hamburger flight today, I am impressed!

(Background: I started beta testing EFBs for one of the major vendors in about 2004, using first a Compaq TC1100 and then a series of Fujitsu tablet convertibles. So I have seen a lot of this software come and go. More recently I have a Nexus 7 and have been running Garmin Pilot.)

IMHO one of the issues with EFBs has always been readability of the numbers, button labels, etc. The programmers typically provide eye candy -- subtle colors, translucent backgrounds, cute icons, etc. This stuff looks great in the armchair and, I guess, sells product. But it seriously compromises usability in the air, especially in bright light. iFly understands this!

Major Thing#1 that I like about iFly is that the critical information like speed, TRK, etc. is available as clear white-on-black text. Similarly, unlike Garmin's cute pie, the information choices for an airport are presented as a crisp white-on-black list. In fact the flight data blocks are highly user-configurable as to background color, position (touch and drag), and size. Even the smallest sizes are fairly easy to read. You want the little bar chart of GPS signal quality smack in the middle of the screen? No problem! Don't want it at all? Again, no problem. There are multiple standard instrument layouts, all configurable, plus the option for saving custom layouts. There are 15(!) airplane icons to choose from. Messing with all these choices is an armchair exercise for sure, but the capability completely blows GP away.

Major thing #2 that I like is the way sectionals are handled. Instead of stitching them together like GP and others, they are presented as individual images, north and south halves together. This means that you have to select the next sectional by tapping on white space adjacent to your current sectional, but it also means -- very important -- that all the edge notes for symbology, MOAs, frequencies, etc. are right there. Just zoom and read.

Major Thing #3 is the terrain display. There is a fairly small Vertical Profile graph on the screen, showing both terrain and airspace. Fairly conventional, but when you tap it with your finger it pops to almost full screen width and also offers controls for setting a terrain overlay on the map. You have the choice of having the terrain overly be off, on, or flashing when there's something to warn about.

Major Thing #4 is that flights can be automatically recorded. "Load Past Flight" is kind of buried under "Map Settings" in Setup but click it and you are rewarded with a track superimposed on the map or on an approach plate. iFly will also display your current flight trail if you like. CFIIs take note!

There is other nice stuff, too, like easily-selected runway centerline displays, "Real View" satellite photos of airports with your airplane displayed, and of course all the usual charts, plates, wx, airport info and frequencies. Most, maybe all, of the airport info displays (WX, Obstruction List, etc.) have "Bigger" and "Smaller" buttons that let you manage the text size to suit your preferences. The size selection does not appear to be "sticky" from screen to screen but that is a very minor complaint.

Like all user interfaces, it is intuitive mainly to the guy who designed it. But as a 1-day newbie I would rate it as pretty good. There is no "wasted step" like the GP Menu button and I think with a little practice I will become comfortable with the UI.

I have not really figured out all the flight planning options yet.

The weather display is kind of ho-hum. Color coded METARs, recent and animated NEXRAD. One of the features I like in Foreflight is the page where I can get all kinds of NOAA weather map products. I'd sure like to see that on Android, too.

I'm sure as I use it I will find warts and shortcomings, but today's experience was pretty impressive. This product is currently labeled as a Beta. I have seen no beta-ish characteristics or problems.

I have no patience for the poor quality of Apple software and their walled-garden approach to user imprisonment, so I am irretrievably Android for the time being. I bought GP with the expectation that Garmin would move quickly to solidify its Android dominance by bringing the feature set up to the level of the GP iThings product. That has not happened, however. In the past year GP/Android has given me nothing new of significance.

iFLy claims to have been designed by pilots. I read somewhere that the GP programmers are learning to fly. Maybe that is the difference.

My GP subscription expires in a month or so. iFly is looking like a much better choice than renewal. In fact, I think it may be positioned to take over from GP as the Android share leader.

Last edited:
Nice writeup. I've been flying with an iFly 720 for two years, and used an iFly 700 for about a year before that. I've been using the Android version on my Nexus 7 (2013) since the first beta version. With the SkyGuardTWX ADS-B transceiver, I've got a very nice portable EFB/GPS solution, including traffic.

I think one of the compelling things about AP's offering is the very reasonable price of add-on data subscriptions. $20 upgrade lets you add up to 2 extra devices (for a total of 3). Makes it pretty pain-free to have my iFly 720, my Nexus 7, and my phone all loaded with the same software and data.

I was going to go with the Foreflight on a iPad, but I think I'll give this a try on my Galaxy Note. One thing I can't find yet on the website is the requirements for the Android version.

I will pass that feedback back to AP. I believe the only hard requirement is Android v4+. Of course, a GPS source (either built-in or external) is also necessary for moving-map capability, as is enough storage to download the necessary aviation data.

I found the Android version req on the google play page. But nothing on memory, processor, GPS source, bluetooth, wifi, etc. It appears most of the people on google play offer minimal info regarding compatibility on purpose, but a little more meat on the bone would help.

What I would like to see are reviews that say 'tested successfully on Samsung model xxx-yyyy, with zzGB of memory, using int GPS. No failures', or what they found. Most of the reviews are just on the bells and whistles of the product.

I would of have been just fine using WingX on an iPad but in an open or bright cockpit you just can't see it. That's why I got the iFly. Their hardware is kind of a crappy little Korean tablet that really makes for an awkward Internet browsing device but it is very bright. I don't care for the manner in which they stitched the sectionals together but I can live with it if that's what it takes to have a device that I can see in an open cockpit.

Jim can let you know what he is using and the success so far. I am also one of their Beta testers but only on the 720 and the ipad a this time.

I have heard Nexus 7 and many other devices including some of the android phones. Since I am not testing the Android device I am not on that page as much.

I think one of the compelling things about AP's offering is the very reasonable price of add-on data subscriptions. $20 upgrade lets you add up to 2 extra devices (for a total of 3).
I have been assuming that the Android version was like GP, where I can install/no extra cost on multiple devices that are under the identical Google Play user ID. I have GP on my phone as a backup and on my N7 and paid nothing extra.

CopilotLive, which I use on the ground, is the same way. I have it on my N7, my phone, and under my UID/login on my wife's N7. No extra cost for the multiple installations. (BTW I recommend that one too. All the maps download to your device, so no need for a data plan and no issues when out of cell coverage.)

This is what I found on the iFly web site: "Existing iFly device subscribers can extend their subscription to their Android for only $19.99." I interpreted that to be a discount for people who own their hardware products, which I do not.

$20 is hardly a show-stopper, considering the iFly appears to be significantly cheaper than the competition, but it would be a small negative.

IFly is now my goto software. I'm using it on my first gen Nexus 7, hooked into an iLevil AHRS. The developers have been ridiculously responsive to my bug reports during the beta, which is one more reason I've let my Garmin Pilot subscription lapse.

I have been assuming that the Android version was like GP, where I can install/no extra cost on multiple devices that are under the identical Google Play user ID. I have GP on my phone as a backup and on my N7 and paid nothing extra.

CopilotLive, which I use on the ground, is the same way. I have it on my N7, my phone, and under my UID/login on my wife's N7. No extra cost for the multiple installations. (BTW I recommend that one too. All the maps download to your device, so no need for a data plan and no issues when out of cell coverage.)

This is what I found on the iFly web site: "Existing iFly device subscribers can extend their subscription to their Android for only $19.99." I interpreted that to be a discount for people who own their hardware products, which I do not.

$20 is hardly a show-stopper, considering the iFly appears to be significantly cheaper than the competition, but it would be a small negative.

The software is currently in open beta, and the data subscription has been "free" during the beta period. I believe that after the beta period ends, there will still be a 30-day free trial for new users that includes data. After that, you'll need a subscription.

I think maybe I was mistaken about how how many Android devices can be added...I think perhaps you're right, and a single data subscription will apply to all devices under a single Google account.

At any rate, the first subscription is full price, whether it's for Android or iPad or an iFly hardware device. To add a second platform after that is only $20, which is substantially less than a second full-price data subscription.

I found the Android version req on the google play page. But nothing on memory, processor, GPS source, bluetooth, wifi, etc. It appears most of the people on google play offer minimal info regarding compatibility on purpose, but a little more meat on the bone would help.

What I would like to see are reviews that say 'tested successfully on Samsung model xxx-yyyy, with zzGB of memory, using int GPS. No failures', or what they found. Most of the reviews are just on the bells and whistles of the product.

There are lots of apps on the Play Store that don't specify memory/processor/etc. requirements, so AP's not unique in that regard. The iFly developers have a handful of devices that they have tested directly on, but they have relied on the beta test community for broader exposure to multiple devices and different use cases.

I would say it's easy enough to try it out and see how it does on your specific device. There's no purchase required until after the 30-day trial period ends, so if it doesn't work well for you, you can simply uninstall it. (And the open beta period hasn't quite ended yet, though it probably will pretty soon. Data subscriptions won't be required until after the beta has closed.)

I have personally used it on my Nexus 7 2013 and my Samsung Galaxy S4 with very good results, both with the built-in GPS and with a SkyRadarATX ADSB transceiver with its own GPS. I use the wifi link between the SkyRadar and my iFly 720, N7, and Galaxy S4.

If you would like to see what other Android users are reporting back to the developers, you can follow along with the conversations that occur on the iFly message forum used for that purpose, here: iFly for Android forum.

BTW, I passed your request for better requirements details to be included on the Play Store site. Here's their response:
I added this to the store listing (will show up in a few hours):

Requires: Android 4.0.x or higher, plus 500 MB data storage.

Hopefully this clears things up. Google Store limits the #characters we can use, so had to sacrifice two other lines of text to make room for this new line.

Note also that the 500MB of data storage is a bare minimum for the app to launch and provide basic maps. Charts and other EFB data require add'l space on top of that minimum.

Last edited:
There are lots of apps on the Play Store that don't specify memory/processor/etc. requirements, so AP's not unique in that regard. The iFly developers have a handful of devices that they have tested directly on, but they have relied on the beta test community for broader exposure to multiple devices and different use cases.

I don't really care what other apps do, as I'm not going to put it in a GA plane, and go rely on it for navigation for me and my family. Aviation-centric products maybe should have a bit more info avail as the potential results of a failure are more than some guy getting away with shooting some other guy with a laser(or other game scenario). This is aviation grade offerings, or maybe I'm mistaken, and it's meant to be a toy for use in sim.

Thanks for the link. I'll dig in deeper. As for the AP stuff, maybe they will take it to heart and fill out the tech specs, or maybe they won't. Either way, I'll give it a try, but once again, "give it a try" and "aviation grade" aren't usually suitable.

YMMV

This is part of the reason that IFR-certified GPS units cost $10,000+ and non-certified portable GPS units cost a few hundred. If you are looking for a unit that can be relied upon with a high degree of certainty when the chips are down, I would suggest choosing something other than a ~$300 tablet device, regardless of which specific ~$300 device it is.

I can rely on a $11 paper chart for accuracy, combined with my free calibrated eyeball. not to say that charts never have errors, but in a competitive environment like handheld GPS(which in no way compares to an IFR cert in-panel unit) the cost of putting a bit more info along with the splash in the info page is about 15 minutes of page coding. Heck, if I had the info readily available I would offer to do it for free. Also, I wouldn't put it on the google play site, but the one I own and run myself, and for people who want to take a chance, fine - download and go. For people who want a bit more info, the website is a suitable place to keep a bit more tech-wise info.

There are apps which are purposely vague on what works and what doesn't. There are also people on the bleeding edge who don't mind systems that lock up, freeze for a while, reboot, go blank, etc. Hey - it's software. But it would be nice if I knew which of the various Android platforms it had been run on.

Once more with vigor - YMMV.

Back