Advantage of registering private strip with the FAA

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
So, other than the coolness factor, what if any advantage lies with undergoing the process of making your private airstrip "official"?

I've thought of one - potential insurance clauses restricting landings at anything other than FAA airports. Any others?

So, other than the coolness factor, what if any advantage lies with undergoing the process of making your private airstrip "official"?

I've thought of one - potential insurance clauses restricting landings at anything other than FAA airports. Any others?

Airspace protection. If you register your airport as "Private Owned, Public Use" then you are assured airspace protection around it (such as a company wanting to place a tall tower next door to your property)

You can contact the FAA ADO (Airport Division Office) for your area and they will give you the information and procedures if you choose to go this route.

Depending on the state, making it 'public use' can create licensing and zoning requirements at the state/county level that you may want to look into. Also, there are liability and insurance implications of doing so. Some states will provide some protection, but if you make it 'public use', every gopher-hole becomes a potential claim.

Departing IFR .

You can do that anyway.

Interesting. I've been thinking about this lately since I hope to get my strip built in the near future (if I'm ever home to work on it). I *assumed* that it wouldn't be a problem if the ceiling is high enought to pick up clearance in the air but *assumed* it wouldn't be possible to get clearance on the ground since they'd have no idea where you are.

Rotor&Wing said:
Airspace protection. If you register your airport as "Private Owned, Public Use" then you are assured airspace protection around it (such as a company wanting to place a tall tower next door to your property)

You can contact the FAA ADO (Airport Division Office) for your area and they will give you the information and procedures if you choose to go this route.
Interesting. Though to be clear this would be a private use "prior permission required" kind of thing.

Interesting. I've been thinking about this lately since I hope to get my strip built in the near future (if I'm ever home to work on it). I *assumed* that it wouldn't be a problem if the ceiling is high enought to pick up clearance in the air but *assumed* it wouldn't be possible to get clearance on the ground since they'd have no idea where you are.

Radial and distance??

Radial and distance??

Well, yeah, but I'd be giving that info to Lock*Mart...do you think they'd really understand those two terms?

And, yes, I'm just being a smart a**. I guess you'd insert that info into the comments section of the flight plan when you file it (I always file DUATS) but still, I gotta deal with Lock*Mart...

Mine is registered and on the map and even with a radial and distance "Lock Mart" has had problems finding it. I usual spend more time getting a clearance than it takes to fly home.

I'm based at a publicly owned grass strip. When I have to get clearance on the ground from the folks at Lock*Mart they can never figure out which ARTCC to contact unless I tell them.

Before I learned needed tell them up front, I'd spend 15 to 20 minutes on hold only for them to come back and tell me that ZKC doesn't have my flight plan.

"Maybe that's because it wasn't filed with ZKC...it was filed with ZME".

"oh"

Last edited:
It's easier to give directions to people flying (and driving) to see us.

Having it listed on Airnav makes for a good reference. It's also in the database of some GPS units, like our Garmin 496. Our airport is also listed in Flitesoft, the software I use for flight-planning, so it's easier to plan routes and trips with our airport in there.

Back