Advanced weather training

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Spent the weekend with Scott Dennstaedt doing his Beyond the Weather Brief, and it made me realize just how much we don't learn about weather, even during instrument training. Also, how much is irrelevant or just plain wrong.
Lifted Index? Largely irrelevant. Learn about CAPE instead.
The classical freezing rain scenario, where snow melts and turns into rain, which then refreezes on the way down, so the solution is to climb to warmer air? Accounts for only 8% of freezing rain.. The other 92% don't involve solid precipitation at all, and you'd better not count on climbing through it, because you'll likely be climbing toward a cloud filled with super cooled water, just waiting to freeze on contact, and with more water content than the rain beneath it!
Also learned about the value of a Skew-T Log(P) chart in determining multiple aspects about a potential flight.
some of this is available on his website at www.avwxworkshops.com or in his articles for various magazines.

I bought Richard Collins' DVD Advanced Weather Flying - definitely the most serious in-debt practical pilot's weather study I have encountered.

Back