Advanced Ground Instructor

cherokeeflyboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokeeflyboy
I hold an AGI certificate, however I have not exercised the privileges in quite some time. (2.5 yrs)
§ 61.217 says:
Recent experience requirements.

The holder of a ground instructor certificate may not perform the duties of a ground instructor unless, within the preceding 12 months:

(a) The person has served for at least 3 months as a ground instructor; or

(b) The person has received an endorsement from an authorized ground or flight instructor certifying that the person has demonstrated satisfactory proficiency in the subject areas prescribed in §61.213 (a)(3) and (a)(4), as applicable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
To the CFI's...what would you require of me for the endorsement per 61.217 (b)

For your AGI, probably the equivalent of a commercial/ATP/CFI-A oral exam per the relevant PTS's. It might take a while...

Thanks for responding Ron,
I guess some more studying is in order! I have been busy prepping for a Private
Ground school, but I dont think I am up for the "oral" that you describe!
especially Instrument training. Although I can (when current or properly endorsed)legally instruct ground and endorse for the Instrument written, I am NOT qualified and would not do so.
Ya know, "use it or lose" it defiantly apply s here.
Perhaps I should surrender my AGI and retest for the Basic Ground Instructor.
How does that work?

Ron Levy said:
No need to surrender -- just study up and get with a CFI to get you current again.

Thanks for the encouragement Ron. Time is now of the essence, I should have started the process sooner. I was hoping to start a class in time to finish before the upcoming holidays.
Just out of curiosity, how long would the endorsement be good for? If I got it in Oct and did not exercise privileges until Jan, would this be acceptable? I cannot find any info in pt 61 anywhere.

KD

cherokeeflyboy said:
Just out of curiosity, how long would the endorsement be good for?
As noted in the reg you quoted initially, 12 months.

If I got it in Oct and did not exercise privileges until Jan, would this be acceptable?
Yes.

I cannot find any info in pt 61 anywhere.
??? You quoted the applicable rule in your original post. (need emoticon for Homer Simpson "DOH!" dope slap).

Ron Levy said:
As noted in the reg you quoted initially, 12 months.

Yes.

??? You quoted the applicable rule in your original post. (need emoticon for Homer Simpson "DOH!" dope slap).
"The holder of a ground instructor certificate may not perform the duties of a ground instructor unless, within the preceding 12 months"

Thats why I have sloped shoulders and a flat forehead.
The shoulders from shrugging and saying I dont know.
The flat forehead from slapping myself and saying oh yea!
Thanks Ron!

Last edited:
Back