Advanced Ground Instructor

skyhawk1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
skyhawk1
Does the AGI pull from the same test bank as the FIA? I assume that it is basically the same test?

Does the AGI pull from the same test bank as the FIA? I assume that it is basically the same test?
Pretty much, although there will probably be a few non-airplane questions, too, since an AGI is authorized to instruct across all categories, not just airplanes like a CFI-A.

It pulls from that plus the other flight instructor test banks (rotorcraft, lighter than air, etc)

Is there any advantages of having it before the CFI checkride?

If you just take the commercial, fia and Agi at the same time you will study a lot less, as they are all very similar and share a lot of the questions.

Merely having the GI-A ticket? No, other than stopping the 24-month clock on expiration of your FOI test result. Having it and actively teaching ground training? Absolutely, because the CFI checkride is primarily about teaching, and the more practice you get at it, the better you will be at it.

It pulls from that plus the other flight instructor test banks (rotorcraft, lighter than air, etc)
I've never taken that test, but I've been told that there aren't enough non-Airplane questions on it to fail you if you know only the Airplane material.

I'll let you know next week

I'm taking the AGI test next Wednesday. I'll let you know how much rotorcraft, gyroplane, lighter-than-air, weight-shift, powered-parachute, flying-saucer....etc. stuff is on mine.

I'm guessing that there is some variation from one instance to the next, so my experience will probably not pin it down exactly, but it should probably give an indication.

I've never taken that test, but I've been told that there aren't enough non-Airplane questions on it to fail you if you know only the Airplane material.

I've heard that as well. But I'm studying the whole enchilada to hopefully provide a little cushion on my score. And heck, I'm learning something! :)

I've heard that as well. But I'm studying the whole enchilada to hopefully provide a little cushion on my score. And heck, I'm learning something! :)

I'm studying everything also, but don't forget the basics of multiple-choice tests and no-penalty-for-guessing scoring.

Here's how I figure it: You can get 33% without reading the questions. You can get about 50% on stuff you don't really know by just eliminating one answer that you can figure out is bad and then guessing between the other two.

If you study the material that is relevant to airplanes to the point that you could consistently get 80% of that stuff right, and you can get 50% on the rest, they would have to throw 24 non-airplane questions at you out of the 70 on the test before it becomes an issue.

Even if you went with the don't-read-the-questions odds of 33%, it would take 14 off-topic questions to pull your 80% down below passing.

That being said, I am still trying for >95% mastery on all of the generic and airplane-related stuff and >80% mastery on the rest. I figure that the surprises that come up on test day usually don't serve to increase my score, and the confidence from a large safety margin can make the experience much more enjoyable.

Last edited:
I just took both a few weeks ago. The AGI does not include any questions on maneuvers (lazy eights, chandelles, etc.), while the FIA does.

If I recall correctly I only had one helicopter question on the AGI, it was about a turn-and-slip indicator.

I just took both a few weeks ago. The AGI does not include any questions on maneuvers (lazy eights, chandelles, etc.), while the FIA does.

If I recall correctly I only had one helicopter question on the AGI, it was about a turn-and-slip indicator.

I had a glider, Heli and some baloon question.. ;)

I took it early

I took it today. Zero questions for anything other than airplanes, zero questions on commercial maneuvers, and pretty much everything in about the same proportions as found in the ASA study materials.

There were a lot more original questions than I have seen on other tests, but they were still covering the same material as questions that were in the ASA book. The difference would be something like switching from "is" to "is not" and adjusting the answers accordingly. So far, I'd say that material that gets skipped in the ASA book probably isn't going to show up on the test.

I didn't take the AGI, but took the IGI and had three helicopter questions.

Back