Advance Planning

B

Bad Weather

I'm going to start flight training in about 2-3 years after I finish an out of country project.
I've been taking Celexa and Lisinopril (blood pressure) at a low dose for about 3 years, but having recently sold my business and taking a consulting job with much less stress, I don't I need them and have stopped taking them. I did not get a diagnosis of depression nor did I see a Phych, they were prescribed by my GP.

Question, Due to the medications, so much extra paperwork will needed later when I apply for my FAA Med, is there anything that I should have noted by my GP or anyone I should go and see to create a paper trail and track record for when I do apply ?

Celexa is probably an issue, consult with an AME before you take an official FAA medical exam. In fact since you are 2 to 3 years out, it would be a good thing to do a consult now. Dr Bruce is a great resource, contact him through his website www.aeromedicaldoc.com, his services are very reasonable and he wrote the SSRI protocol for getting pilots medicals who meet the standard while taking/ have taken these drugs. Be honest with him, and do what he recommends, you may be able to take steps now that make getting the medical easier 2 to 3 years down the road.

Lisinopril is a non issue as long as your hypertension is well and properly controlled.

Celexa will be an item you need to learn more about how the FAA handles this.

Start with this page of the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners. Read the entire page, then click the link about SSRI initial certification and read that.

The FAA provides you two paths to certification... Path #1 is if you can successfully wean off of the medication and be okay without it. There are still some particular steps you must go through, but they are not as many with Path #2, where you remain on the medication

For a really good explanation of the process from an airman's point of view, read this post by @cogscreamer

As mentioned by PaulS, a really good HIMS AME to start talking to is Dr. Bruce Chien. Go to his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com and click the How To Start page. Your initial conversations with him will provide you the right knowledge of how to start and proceed through the process. You are more than welcome to find more info on you're own. But Dr. Bruce's knowledge, experience, and expertise will trump Google each time.

And which ever HIMS AME you choose, make sure you do not do an official live exam with any AME until all you initial questions have been answered, all preparatory reports (including exams by non-AME's and psychologists) are done, your submission file is 100% complete and properly organized, and your HIMS AME is willing to say with 100% certainty that you will eventually be issued your medical certificate.

Last edited:
Now, you shared info about hypertension and SSRI use, but for completeness, I want to make sure you become knowledgeable about other things the FAA is going to ask.

Below is one of my copy/paste items about the FAA application for a medical certificate.

To gain confidence, and more importantly, knowledge, of what is involved with obtaining your first medical certificate, start by reviewing the instruction manual for MedXpress, the FAA's online form for applying for a medical. You can find that here: https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/Content/Docs/MedXPressUsersGuide.pdf

Scroll down to page 24 of 36. This is where they ask about any medications you are currently taking (Question 17). If there are none, move to the next section. But if there are some, you will be asked to list the names, dosage, and frequency. Most medications are permitted. Some are not and will be a show stopper. Others may be an indicator of a medical item that the FAA will want to know more about. In many cases, the FAA will need a letter from your treating doctor that mention the medications, why they were prescribed, and how well they are helping you. During the examination, the Aviation Medical Examiner will ask questions about the medications and the doctors letter, fill in some blanks, and make notations on his side of the application form.

Now scroll down to page 26 of 36. This is the medical history section (Question 18). An important phrase here is "Have you ever in your life..." Review these items and see if any should be answered yes. If one or more is answered yes, then definitely do not go to an AME to obtain a medical certificate until you thoroughly know what the FAA is going to want to know about the item you checked as yes.

Some of these are minor and the documentation required is also minor. Others are big, BIG things, and while they might not be show stoppers, you will have to obtain more things that are the right things and in the right format and order in order to satisfy the FAA.

Again, do not go to an AME for a live exam until you know what information and documentation the FAA wants for the item(s) you marked "yes"​

How do you find out what the FAA wants? The best way is to have a consultation visit with an AME. This visit does not get reported to the FAA. All it is is a information gather visit with the medical examiner to find out what you need to obtain. If you are unable to find an AME in your area to do this, then reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien in Bolingbrook, IL, www.aeromedicaldoc.com Dr. Bruce is a member here and can answer your questions online. But direct emails are often more efficient and allow him to discuss things in a way he cannot on a public form.

Another important area of Question 18 is Question 18v. Alcohol and drug related motor vehicle actions. Question 18v asks about a history of “arrests or convictions involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug.” This would include arrests or convictions for offenses that were reduced to a lower offense, such as careless driving. This also includes offenses that were expunged by the courts after a certain time period. Pilots who have been ticketed for operating under the influence while driving a golf cart or a boat have also been required to report these offenses. Remember, your signature on the Form authorizes the FAA to search the National Drivers Register.

Do not try to lie or fib or skirt the issue here.... if you are found out... it is major bad voodoo.

If you do have an alcohol offense in your past, it is not a showstopper. But there will be some added steps to demonstrate to the FAA that you are worthy of the certificate in spite of alcohol being a part of your past life.

Moving on, look at page 28 of 36 and Question 19, which asks questions about medical professionals. If all of your past doctor visits have been routine things with no major medical issues. Then the FAA will say all is good, thanks for telling us about the visits. But if there were visits for particular medical things, then additional explanations about the reason for the visit, and the doctor's findings will be needed.

I hope this helps. Do continue to ask questions as you think of them.

A wealth of information, Thank You and thanks for the patience to answer something that has probably been answered many times before.

I know that with some forethought I can lay the ground work for an easier approval in two or three years.

Who would have thought that when your Dr. says hey try these for your stress that you would jeopardize or at the very least make difficult, getting a pilots lic.

Thanks Again

Celexa is Ok. SSRI special issuances are routine with the HIMS. The biggest thing for you to do is stay on or off the medication and stay one one dose, especially in the 8 months leading up to issuance.

Celexa is Ok. SSRI special issuances are routine with the HIMS. The biggest thing for you to do is stay on or off the medication and stay one one dose, especially in the 8 months leading up to issuance.

Bad weather, note this guy's signature at the bottom of his post.... Senior AME - HIMS Designated. I believe HIMS Designated is what you need. This is the advice you need and should trump the rest of us if we are off target. Find him, or Dr Bruce, or someone like them. Make it easy on yourself, but as others have stated, put it all out there ( your history, privately with one of them) because eventually the FAA can find it and you will be in a world of hurt if you withhold (lie). Go for it.

Like Lou sez, on and off and on and off is a bad deal. If you have had this in your medical history (recurrency off meds gets denied), the only why through is on the SSRI on the SSRI protocol. You need also to noat have any of the attached in your history, to work the SSRI protocol SI.

Attachments

• SSRI.modifications03.12.14.pdf
    273.2 KB · Views: 182
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back