ADSB_OUT and... IN...

dtvonly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dtvonly
Hi. just a bit confused. ADSB-out is mandated but ADSB-in is not.
So if the plane is equipped with OUT only, does that mean that the plane cannot see other airplane around it? unless it has ADSB-in installed as well?

Hi. just a bit confused. ADSB-out is mandated but ADSB-in is not.
So if the plane is equipped with OUT only, does that mean that the plane cannot see other airplane around it? unless it has ADSB-in installed as well?
yup.

They dangled the carrot in order to get ADS-B in traffic, you have to be ADS-B out compliant. They don't really care if you see traffic, but they wanna see you on ADS-B out.

ADS-B in can be a panel mounted display or a portable receiver like the Stratus linked to an Ipad.

Just wait until ADS-C, that's the next generation of big brother

The in isn't so bad, there are portable receivers that you can link to a tablet, and you can build yourself one for not that much money if you're into that sort of thing. The ADSB out is expensive.

The in isn't so bad, there are portable receivers that you can link to a tablet, and you can build yourself one for not that much money if you're into that sort of thing. The ADSB out is expensive.

Yep, that's part of the reason I'm waiting to buy another plane until after 2020. I'll let someone else do my upgrade for me. :D

Back