ADSB with a Dongle

Dr. O

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
denny
http://g4vxe.blogspot.com/2012/12/virtual-radar-for-tenner-rtlsdr-and.html

I post this for those with a curious bent. These are radio/scanner enthusiasts in Britain who are displaying ADSB data from aircraft on their PC using a hardware tuner (dongle) that costs roughly $15 and some free software, that acts like a virtual radar screen.

Perhaps, one or two on here will find this of interest to try. I probably won't as I have more than enough electronic projects to keep me off street corners and out of the bar.

It's more involved than that actually. The individual hobbiest receive sites are networking together to give a coverage mosaic of the entire country. There's nothing tremendously elaborate about the datalink. The entire lack of security is going to be quite interesting when we start relying on it.

There's a bit more than meets the eye to this. For example, you need a dongle that does not have an L-band lockout in its tuner. I have one with E4000 tuner, and it does have the gap. I have an R820 based dongle on order. And of course they do not cost $15 really, unless you luck upon one at DealExtreme. More like $35. Finally, the cheap ARM boards may be too slow to run the software, even if they can fetch the I/Q samples.

My ultimate objective is to pair this with a GPS and a display, and cobble together a DIY TIS-B IN (isn't Experimental great?). But it may be harder than it looks, because of UAT.

The UAT is always ouside of the lock-out band for these dongles, but it is a much higher data rate protocol than 1090ES. Decoding wide-band FSK is a pain. Its frame structure is also complex. So far I haven't succeeded in getting anything.

Last edited:
Back