ADSB Rebate - "rule" airspace

josephades

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ja
I'm trying to qualify for the ADSB rebate. I flew almost 3 hours today with a flight plan and with flight following. The latest report I generated from the FAA only shows that I flew 27 minutes (out of the required 30) in "rule" airspace. Can someone clarify hat "rule" means? Do I have to now go out for another hour and try to hit the jackpot with this airspace, or will the time carry over?

Thanks

Class B, C or over 10k ft and you will need to do it again. Or, within 30 miles of just about all Class B airports.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am right near a class B and C. Class B controllers will not let me maneuver around for 30 min

Class C - I should be able to get away with it. Do I have to be INSIDE the class B/C or does under/above it work?

The "rule" is FAR 91.225 -- in other words, the airspace in which ADS-B out will be required after 2020. You can be in Class E airspace above 10,000' MSL and 2,500' AGL, or anywhere inside a Mode C veil around a Class B airport, or in or above Class B or C airspace.

I flew the qualifying time in Class E airspace above (and within the lateral limits of) the Portland Class C, with flight following. Although technically not rule airspace, it looks like the system also credited me for time flown beneath the floor of Class C, as I was departing from and returning to my home field.

Thanks. I am right near a class B and C. Class B controllers will not let me maneuver around for 30 min

Class C - I should be able to get away with it. Do I have to be INSIDE the class B/C or does under/above it work?
What about in the vail around Class B? Surely you can maneuver around in there all you want.

What about in the vail around Class B? Surely you can maneuver around in there all you want.

"It's complicated". Check out the KFRG airspace. Not a big deal, what I'll do is just maneuver above the class C airspace of KISP. Practice some lazy 8s or something like that.

How would those Class B controllers prevent you from operating VFR in Class E airspace within the Mode C veil?

"It's complicated". Check out the KFRG airspace. Not a big deal, what I'll do is just maneuver above the class C airspace of KISP. Practice some lazy 8s or something like that.
I did all the recommended maneuvers in Class E airspace, away from town. That was not "rule" airspace, so the GAIRS report came back as a "fail", although it said the hardware passed the operational tests. So I went back up and stooged around above the Class C for half an hour (with flight following), and the report came back all green. FAA e-mail says the rebate check is on its way.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-23%20at%207.11.07%20AM%20copy_zpsnv6g19bi.jpg

So when I fly home after my install I'll know to do it at 10500 - solves the problem.

How would those Class B controllers prevent you from operating VFR in Class E airspace within the Mode C veil?

Tight airspace

Maneuvering above the airspace isn't the issue, but over KISP's class C - all the JFK arrivals come in at 6-8000 ft. Still perfectly doable though. I'll just fly in circles with flight following Sunday morning.

So how does this apply to me living in Alaska? We have a class D airspace in Juneau... Not going to fly 800 miles to Anchorage to get that done.....;)

Class B, C or over 10k ft and you will need to do it again. Or, within 30 miles of just about all Class B airports.

This "rule airspace" stuff is just if you want to qualify for the rebate, right?

When I got my performance report a couple months ago, it was one document (with no red boxes). I pulled one for a flight last week and there where two documents this time. One of them showed the same failure with not enough time in this "rule airspace".

I called up Tulsa tracon today (class C) on my rebate flight. Told him I had some maneuvers to fly for the ADS-B. I told him I needed the Tulsa VOR as a waypoint for a N/S cross and an E/W cross, didn't matter how long, preferably 1 minute legs. Told him when I was finished with that, just put me somewhere else in the Charlie, out of his way to let me do the rest of the stuff.
Got my performance report and redemption code an hour after the flight.

I flew on top of class C for 30+ minutes. Everything came out fine. Tried to claim my rebate, and guess what? Because I have a registration pending - thanks to the FAA's sloooowwwww process, I am "not yet qualified" to receive the rebate. Haha, and I thought this was going to be easy. Everything has to be a struggle with the FAA.

Got this email today:
Dear Requester:

Thank you for your participation in the FAA ADS-B Rebate Program.

Your rebate is now APPROVED, in accordance with the terms and conditions as set forth in the rebate program rules. You should receive a check within 4-6 weeks.

If you have any questions, please visit the rebate program FAQs (https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/FAQ) for more information.

Got my rebate check Thursday. so 3 weeks or so.

Back