ADSB outage in rule airspace

greatamericanwest

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
greatamericanwest
I recently transitioned through MSP airspace (under Bravo shelf but on flight following with squawk) and realized when I got to my destination that my nav light fuse had blown, which in turn disabled my Tailbeacon ADSB out. I believe it was blown for most of the flight as flightaware had little on my flight which never happens on this route. It was working when I did my preflight. On the return, I replaced the fuse and went home, and it worked fine. I was in "rule airspace" for approx 20 minutes. PAPR confirmed no signal detected on flight in question. Controllers said nothing. Should I file ASRS?

I would - there is no reason not to. It anonymous and free, and can provide some protection. In short, there is no downside to it.

I don't have a problem with filing an ASRS as it is useful for the FAA to be aware of the kinds of issues they deal with using ADS-B, but it was an equipment failure like any other equipment failure. Had you discovered it or had ATC pointed it out, you would have been permitted to continue your flight. Even though ADS-B was not working, there is a provision in the regulations 91.2259g)(1) that deals with this issue:

(g) Requests for ATC authorized deviations from the requirements of this section must be made to the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the concerned airspace within the time periods specified as follows:

(1) For operation of an aircraft with an inoperative ADS-B Out, to the airport of ultimate destination, including any intermediate stops, or to proceed to a place where suitable repairs can be made or both, the request may be made at any time.

If the computers picked it up, you might get a letter about malfunctioning ADSB. The ones I've seen just say to fix it or you might face penalties.

Don't bother. Someone on the board has already reported you to the FAA for your blatant disregard for human life and safety, for flying an obviously dangerous and defective aircraft (not a Cirrus/Mooney/Bonanza), and endangering the welfare of all the school children and puppies within 100 miles of your entire flight path for the last 5 years.
Anarchist scum!
Did I miss anything?

Don't bother. Someone on the board has already reported you to the FAA for your blatant disregard for human life and safety, for flying an obviously dangerous and defective aircraft (not a Cirrus/Mooney/Bonanza), and endangering the welfare of all the school children and puppies within 100 miles of your entire flight path for the last 5 years.
Anarchist scum!
Did I miss anything?

No mention of AoA indicator.

AOA indicator was out too and he still landed safely? :eek: This is proof that miracles still occur.

High wing or low wing?

If you were flying a Cirrus, of course, you would have had to pull the red handle immediately.

Back