ADSB out creating more risk until 2020

The flight this morning produced a fun little scenario. Flying South over KMEV (Minden-Tahoe) at 10,500 and just before turning West to fly over Lake Tahoe saw a biz jet taking off North on the runway (6k feet below). Flying West and just before crossing the rim to the lake the jet turned and climbed on a SouthWest track and showed up on ADS-B from behind but not on frequency (Norcal). The target climbed to near 1k feet below us and turned fully South just before becoming a yellow target (still not on frequency). We continued flying West and out over the lake.

So you watched him take off and continued to track him visually? Good thing you had ADS-B traffic advisories to save the day...

So you watched him take off and continued to track him visually? Good thing you had ADS-B traffic advisories to save the day...

No. I saw him takeoff Northbound 6k feet below me. I turned West and he showed up on my ADS-B from below and behind me as he turned and climbed. The point being I could not see him and would not have known he was there or how close he came if not for ADS-B.

No. I saw him takeoff Northbound 6k feet below me. I turned West and he showed up on my ADS-B from below and behind me as he turned and climbed. The point being I could not see him and would not have known he was there or how close he came if not for ADS-B.

ADS-B prevents another midair collision!

:rolleyes:

That was the first one I ever saw where the Tower was the cause and failure to see and avoid was the contributing factor. The pilots had seen and were talking to each other about the plane inside on the downwind. When it came time to turn base they had lost sight of it.

NTSB did simulations of the cockpit views from both aircraft. They're out on YT somewhere. They've both been posted here before also.

The jet had a while to find and track the Skyhawk but didn't. Would have had to have been the right seater doing the looking. I don't remember who was hands on the controls and the report didn't say.

The Skyhawk had about two seconds to react as the jet was blocked by the window pillar.

Watching the simulation you see just how long the Tower had to sort it all out, and didn't. You also know from reading the report when you're watching it that the controllers are distracted by the supervisory controller taking over for the trainee and wish one of them would just look up and see it coming, since you know how both videos are going to end.

ADS-B traffic is a useful improvement as long as the aircraft is equipped with ADS-B Out. If not, it is largely entertainment. Aircraft 30 thousand feet above your location and 50 miles away are not much of a collision hazard.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back