ADSB-in false alerts

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I use the Skybeacon for ADSB-out and a portable Stratus Appareo for ADSB-in. When I am flying I get alerts that say, "caution, traffic very close same altitude, less than .25 miles" At first I was alarmed but lately I have noticed they are just false alerts and they happen on a regular basis. My fear is that I not take it serious when it is true. Is there an adjustment for this or any options.

Do you receive the alert from your EFB on a tablet or phone? If so, go into settings and find the settings that allow you to ignore your own tail number.

I just looked through all the Foreflight options and I did not see anything that said to ignore my own tailnumber.

I get that sometimes in a 530 Garmin unit. Looks like im flying formation. only happened a few times in the last couple months, but it is an eye opener at first.

I went to the plane last night and connected to the Stratus and went through the settings. It shows that I am ignoring my ownship. I dont know what else it could be.

Thanks PatternBreak, this may be the answer from FF, "If you have ADS-B Out and see a ghost target, it is most likely coming from the ground station that is unable to correlate your transponder position with your ADS-B Out position. This is more likely to occur during rapid maneuvering where your radar track/position doesn't keep up with your ADS-B track/position."

I fly the same route to work everyday and it seems to happen in the same locations and it is usually when I am crossing a mountain ridge. It may be that the local ground station loses my track/position for a moment.

Very interesting. I fly in flat Florida so I don't get the geographical hiccups.

Thanks PatternBreak, this may be the answer from FF, "If you have ADS-B Out and see a ghost target, it is most likely coming from the ground station that is unable to correlate your transponder position with your ADS-B Out position. This is more likely to occur during rapid maneuvering where your radar track/position doesn't keep up with your ADS-B track/position."

I fly the same route to work everyday and it seems to happen in the same locations and it is usually when I am crossing a mountain ridge. It may be that the local ground station loses my track/position for a moment.

It might be that you are transiting from one radar system to another and there is a jump in the position of your radar target. Your transponder radar target has to be correlated by the ground station with your ADS-B Out position. When they are not correlated, the ground station will generate a TISB for your radar target, which makes for two targets, the one from the on board ADS-B Out and the other from the ground station TISB.

Back