ADSB In and Out, Oshkosh Special

I have these things in my Mooney and they've worked flawlessly. The wifi in antenna has worked for three years and the panel mount transponder for two.

Anyone spending $1800 on a wing gadget will probably never know how much more they could have gained by laying out just a few hundred more.
"Anyone"? I had no room for a Stratus, and no room for big color display (which I probably couldn't have read in broad daylight anyway...open cockpit plane).

Other than some work required to get some power to the wingtip, I installed three screws and was compliant with the ADS-B out requirement. I'm sure Jim's offering a fine package, but I suspect it would have been more work...even if I'd had a place I could install the devices.
labeled.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

If you have no room for a transponder, you cant go into B or C anyway, so why bother with a beacon?

No one instrument or device is perfect for all aircraft. i'm happy you found one you can work with on your airframe. HOWEVER, if you wouldn't mind spreading the word to your chapter, would you mind?

Actually, he DOES have room for a transponder. THe Microair transponder fits in a standard 2." instrument hole. Too bad you weren't at Oshkosh this year, i gave one away at my forum.

Thanks,

JIm

Gonna be some happy customers. Thats a great price on a great package with what I fully expect to be great technical support. The funny thing is, had a friend offer me the same package for a killer price, so I figured it would be good for my Cessna 140. I had no idea HOW good until I flew with it awhile. If it hadn't been for that, I might not have ever known.

Anyone spending $1800 on a wing gadget will probably never know how much more they could have gained by laying out just a few hundred more.

Few hundred more? I estimate a thousand more. And what more do I get by going with the Status over the Skybeacon?

Few hundred more? I estimate a thousand more. And what more do I get by going with the Status over the Skybeacon?

As long as your transponder is good, probably not much. The Stratus will get you across international boundaries into other countries with ADSB mandates, but I think that's a worthless feature for most of us.

If you have no room for a transponder, you cant go into B or C anyway, so why bother with a beacon?
I have no room for THAT transponder. My transponder is clearly visible in the above photo, and required the panel to be modified to fit it in.

I have never flown in class b or c airspace, and haven't been in class d for 20 years. I have a transponder and (now) ADS-B because I'm based within the veil.

Ron Wanttaja

No one instrument or device is perfect for all aircraft. i'm happy you found one you can work with on your airframe. HOWEVER, if you wouldn't mind spreading the word to your chapter, would you mind?
Absolutely, Jim...I've passed the word to my Chapter presidents, and certainly didn't intend to minimize the great deal you're offering.

I'm just still super-p****** about spending a quarter of the value of my airplane to made it ADA-compliant. Mr. Magoo will be able to stare myopically at his cockpit display and see me now, and tuck the window curtains extra tight so there's no troublesome outside world visible.

For the record, the Skybeacon installation (other than having to disassemble my airplane to run the new electrical circuit) was a breeze. Passed its test with no errors.
yabba.jpg

adsb.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

For starters you get a new transponder...solid state, no cavity tube. You get ADS-B out and in capability. It is a great deal, IMO.

Yeah if your transponder is already broke it makes sense. My GTX 330 works fine and my Scout gives me ADS-B in.

I agree, the Stratus combo is a great deal as is the Skybeacon. I only wish they made a cheap panel mount system. I prefer my information in the panel and not on an iPad.

Last edited:
Looks like it fits just fine to me.
View attachment 76944
Actually, when I did a panel rework a few years back, I looked at replacing most of the gauges with a Dynon:
elect_dynon2.jpg

Had permission from CINCHOUSE to spend the money, and the prospect of recouping some of that in the form of a magazine article about the process. An EFIS in a single-seat wooden open-cockpit airplane would have what one former KITPLANES magazine editor described as, "high nut value."

My initial concern was readability in direct sunlight. I used Dynon's web page to send them a query about it. Got a phone call about 15 minutes later. Their customer rep was the daughter of my EAA chapter president and recognized my name. She assured me that the Dynon had been quite readable in planes such as Wacos.

Why didn't I do it? The layout above doesn't show two vertical structural supports that would make it impossible to install both the Dynon and my Icom. I would have had do have done a massive rework of the panel bow and support area.

Still kind of regret not doing it....

Ron Wanttaja

Back