ADSB, Flight Aware and Hand Flying

Justin M

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JM
So now that our fleet of modern (1970s) aircraft have ADSB, flight aware is tracking my flights and I can review them.

I'm embarrassed about the variations in heading and altitude.

While I'm looking at the map to find an airport and the ATIS so I can get a weather report and oops, I'm off heading.

Yesterday wasn't exactly CAVU so I had to dodge clouds, adjust for gusty winds and self-imposed distractions.

All of that is obvious in flight aware.

Variations in altitude, velocity and heading shows in that my tracks are not smooth. I guess if I had an auto pilot, but alas. I hope this is just an anomaly.

So now that our fleet of modern (1970s) aircraft have ADSB, flight aware is tracking my flights and I can review them.

I'm embarrassed about the variations in heading and altitude.

While I'm looking at the map to find an airport and the ATIS so I can get a weather report and oops, I'm off heading.

Yesterday wasn't exactly CAVU so I had to dodge clouds, adjust for gusty winds and self-imposed distractions.

All of that is obvious in flight aware.

Variations in altitude, velocity and heading shows in that my tracks are not smooth. I guess if I had an auto pilot, but alas. I hope this is just an anomaly.

Meh...

Enjoy the flight and leave staying on the tracks to the train engineers.

;)

Welcome to the downfall of GA

Go fly, enjoy yourself ,don’t worry about the track unless your in controlled airspace.

KWJF to KSTS 12NOV2019.jpg It's painfully obvious looking at FlightAware tracks and track logs who's hand flying and who's using George. Don't be too hard on yourself.

This was a flight from Lancaster, CA to Santa Rosa, CA hand flying my LSA. Some deviations around active MOAs and altitude changes to get lighter headwinds and avoid SFO Class B.

It's a good incentive to work on being more precise. I was aghast when I saw the track of my first solo xc. I was pretty proud of myself on the last couple I hand flew.

It isn't a perfect science and isn't accounting for drafts and turbulence either.

Don't sweat it. Just fly your plane.

Back