Ads-b

cherokeeflyboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokeeflyboy
I have been planning on buying a <$20k plane in the near future, however having read the following on the FAA's site, I am reluctant.
the cost to add the equipment is too much for me
I heard this was coming, but had no idea so soon!

The FAA has $165 million for fiscal years 2007 and 2008 to begin the initial
implementation of ADS-B in the national airspace system. This includes continuing to
support the ADS-B infrastructure already installed along the East Coast and integrating
ADS-B surveillance into the FAA’s current air traffic control systems. The contract to
provide ADS-B services nationwide was awarded in August 2007 with ITT Corp,

The FAA will hold a Critical Design Review of the system in January 2008.
In November 2008, the agency expects to commission
both of the ADS-B broadcast services. .
The decision to commission both the surveillance and the broadcast services is
expected in September 2010.

The cost to equip a general aviation aircraft ranges from $7,644 to $10,920 for ADS-B
"Out" and from $10,444 to $29,770 for ADS-B "Out" and ADS-B "In" depending on
aircraft type. It is expected that most general aviation operators will desire the ADS-B
“In” services. However, the unit costs for general aviation are expected to drop 30
percent after the introduction of the final rule mandating ADS-B avionics equipage. The
final rule is targeted for fall of 2009.

The only thing they're making final in 2009 is what ADS-B will be. It will be years beyond that before ADS-B will be required anywhere you are likely to fly a <$20K airplane, and even then, they're only talking making it mandatory in Class A/B airspace. I don't see that as being a concern in purchasing such a plane now.

Thanks for the info Ron, I was about to give up on my
idea of ownership. Class A and B airspace is not where I fly any way!

The only thing they're making final in 2009 is what ADS-B will be. It will be years beyond that before ADS-B will be required anywhere you are likely to fly a <$20K airplane, and even then, they're only talking making it mandatory in Class A/B airspace. I don't see that as being a concern in purchasing such a plane now.
I'm based UNDER Class B airspace (and obviously within the 30nm transponder ring). Any idea whether it'll be required here?

From my quick read of the huge NPRM, I think they plan to require ADS-B out for aircraft within the mode C veil, unless you are no-electric. Same as a transponder today. No comment on whether you'd need to keep mode C in place.

Back