ADS-B (x-posted on Red board)

ggroves

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Titanium
As some of you are aware, I'm contemplating an avionics upgrade in my airplane. I currently have a GNS430 and want to add weather. An obvious choice would be for a panel mounted option - the MX20 with the GDL69 for XM weather. For portable - the GPS396 would work.

However, as an east coast pilot, ADS-B has to be a consideration. Substituting the GDL90 UAT receiver for the GDL69 gives me traffic, text information, and NEXRAD with no monthly service fees...but in a currently limited coverage area. The GDL69 gives me more weather products, text information, and no traffic....but with almost complete North America coverage...but for $50 per month.

So..the questions.

- Does anybody have any experience with ADS-B, specifically how good or limited are the weather products (FIS-B) and traffic product (TIS-B)?

Right now, I'm strongly leaning towards buying a GPS396 now and XM and waiting ADS-B out for another 6 - 12 months. At least I'll have a backup if/when I go panel mount.

Additional thoughts?

Greg
182RG

Some people that are using the 396 are having lockup problems that require them to unplug the unit from its power source. However, I feel these problems are few and far between. Overall I think the 396 is a very powerful unit. Just buy it and start enjoying things that are AVAILABLE NOW. The XM weather is a very powerful service. They are providing composite weather depictions unlike all the other services that use base weather scans, which provide a lot of added protection. If you are unsure if it's worth the $50 just use the $30 lite package.

Right now AOPA has its hands full trying to keep user fees out of our airspace. I'm thinking extra stuff like mode S traffic and ADS-B will not expand very fast at all. 6 months...try 6 years going at normal government speeds. Why will it take them so long? It provides no benefit for them. If its a free service they have no income to offset their investment. Also it will not lighten the controller/FSS loads because only a few people will own the expensive equipment. People that have the money for this kind of information already have weather systems and traffic devices in their plane.

Like you said buy the portable unit and use it as a backup if you need. The $360 it cost for a year of xm weather is well worth the investment.

Back