ADS-B vs Flight Following

I saw a Youtube video about ADS-B and the guy claims its a prelude to the government instituting a pay to play program. They will have all the info needed to charge by mile, trip or areas once we upgrade. Seems a little paranoid but it gets you thinking.
it's certainly an enabler.

I'm not sure how you get to "when we want your opinion of what we could be doing better we'll ask, until then shut up and do your job" from "I can't comment without details," etc.
I didn't get it from that alone. I got it from the collective responses I got pretty much anytime I questioned anything. Part of the reason I have the job I do is because my boss appreciates that I tend to not accept 'because that's the way we've always done it' as an answer. Yeah, that didn't always go so well in CAP.

Enforcement by whom? For sure there will be evidence of violations in the data ADS-B will provide. But for every one of those violations there will be weeks worth of data that reveal no violation at all. If the FAA has enough people standing around with enough free time to troll the ADS-B records for days on end looking for potential violations, I think we might have just identified the reason for their budget problems.

I am not saying that they are sitting around screening all that data, but if they receive a tip or complaint of potential wrong doing, they will have the data at their fingertips to follow up on.

I am not saying that they are sitting around screening all that data, but if they receive a tip or complaint of potential wrong doing, they will have the data at their fingertips to follow up on.
Does not in an of itself prove that you were PIC. This tail number busted the Metropolis class bravo at this time on this date. You own that airplane, were you flying that day? Nope. Well then who was? Dunno but if you figure it out let me know so I can charge him with theft.

Enforcement by whom? For sure there will be evidence of violations in the data ADS-B will provide. But for every one of those violations there will be weeks worth of data that reveal no violation at all. If the FAA has enough people standing around with enough free time to troll the ADS-B records for days on end looking for potential violations, I think we might have just identified the reason for their budget problems.
With data stored in this format, most airspace/altitude violations can easily be identified with a simple computer program, which can process weeks of data in a matter of seconds.

With data stored in this format, most airspace/altitude violations can easily be identified with a simple computer program, which can process weeks of data in a matter of seconds.
And again, that identifies the tail number. Tail numbers don't get violations, pilots do. How does that data prove conclusively who the pilot was on that particular flight? That part can't be done by a computer and most definitely will take substantially more than a matter of seconds. My hunch is in the long run, the FAA will have bigger fish to fry than to bother with trying to mine the ADS-B data for violations.

Now, get a complaint and find the pilot and get the pilot to admit that he or she was flying on that day and you'll have something. But frankly this is no different than was the case before ADS-B. A green and white Cessna was buzzing a house at 3pm. Radar returns show a 1200 target loitering in that vicinity at that time on that day and then it was tracked back to BFE Regional Airport. There are only two green and white Cessna's based on that airport, one of them has had the engine off for the last 14 months and the other one belongs to you. Were you flying on that day? Nope. Well who was then? Dunno. ADS-B data changes nothing in this scenario.

Perhaps, but the bottom line is that with today’s technology, these sort of issues will no longer be constrained by logistical limitations but rather shift into legal/legislative territory. In other words, with ADSB in play it will be matter of “ do they want “ rather than “ are they able “..

Man... I can only imagine what's next... Mode C transponders that give your altitude to some nosey controller out for your license? Two way radios where some guy with an axe to grind can directly talk to you? Radar that tracks your every move?! Heavens me... the horror.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Nah..you just gonna start getting automated tickets by mail, and since you own a plane, it won’t be $150.

It is always about additional revenue.

You guys rely on what you like, but the last near mid air I had was on an IFR flight plan involving a gliders who thought it was cool climbing right up to the bases of the cumulas clouds.

Keep your eyes out the cockpit.

Back